School leavers programme for graduates?

bluebear
bluebear Registered Posts: 2
Basically I got good A Levels AAAB went to uni to read Law but graduated with a non-honours degree (I know, it's bad). I'm now filled with regret as an apprenticeship would've been ideal but I thought uni was part of the next step in life. I now work in a minimum wage job and decided to go to college last year. I've done level 2 and will move onto level 3 in September. However, I'm finding it hard to get work experience.

I know I'm excluded from applying for apprenticeships because of my degree. So I'm just looking at school leaver programmes and wanted to know if anyone has got one despite not technically being a school leaver? There's no mention of it on the job descriptions. I feel like I'm stuck in limbo because I'm not a school leaver and not a 2.1 graduate. Just wanted your thoughts and if anyone is in the same boat as me. I know I've shot myself by not doing well at uni but I hope to turn things around; I don't want to be a failure for the rest of my life... Thanks :)

Comments

• ChristianB
    ChristianB Registered Posts: 197 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi @bluebear

I’m no expert by any means on school-leavers programmes, but it seems in your scenario your best bet might be to get some work experience via volunteering and then applying for an entry level finance position?

Volunteering for work experience kills the proverbial two birds with one stone: it helps out a good cause while allowing you to use your AAT skills in a practical environment.

By offering your services free of charge, it shows your proactive approach to work and proves your commitment and willingness to learn – both hugely desirable employable assets to have from an employer’s perspective.

You can also go directly to the places you’d like to work and ask for a short work experience placement.

Neither of these things would have to be long term. Just having a few weeks under your belt where you can demonstrate that you’ve successfully worked in a finance environment can make all the different when applying for a role.

Best of luck

I have now left AAT. If you require any assistance with the forums, please contact membership support: https://www.aat.org.uk/contact-us
Privacy Policy