Training to do AAT - too old so not wanted by employers?

Carlotta
Carlotta Registered Posts: 2
Over the last 15 years I have run a small retail business mostly online which due to swings in fashion for interiors is not doing well. I have already tried diversifying with little improvement. Prior to running this business I worked in IT both employed and then as a contractor. I am now exploring whether to start afresh on a new career and do the training for Accountancy AAT (so do level 2 and 3, may be level 4 depending on how things go). At the age of 58 I am concerned as to whether I will find work in London once I reach level 2 as I have read on the AAT forum that it is not easy. Is this a crazy thing to do at my age (planning to retire at 66). There is also a part of me that is still hanging on to my business and am reluctant to let it go.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has done a AAT at an older age.

Comments

• clara
    clara Registered Posts: 19 New contributor 🐸
    hi Carlotta I am doing aat level 4 and I am in my 50s. I had not done accountancy before so I started on level 2 and have worked my way to level 4. It is not easy but is so worthwhile. I am working part time to gain experience to hopefully work for myself when I have finished. Go for it you won't regret it and if you are a positive person you will get a job. Good luck.
  • Carlotta
    Carlotta Registered Posts: 2
    Many thanks Clara.
Privacy Policy