Payroll Training

Peanut14
Peanut14 Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
Hi

Can anyone recommend a good payroll course or training package? The company I work for currently outsources our payroll to our accountants but we would like to bring it in house. I have a basic understanding but could do with some up to date training to be sure I'm doing it properly.

Thanks

Comments

• Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    edited October 2015
    A starting point might be HMRC's own learning:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/webinars-emails-and-videos-on-employing-people

I haven't watched any of these myself, so can't recommend them or otherwise, but it might be a good place for you to start?
  • Peanut14
    Thanks I'll have a look.
  • MinhazMoosa
    MinhazMoosa Registered Posts: 10
    Sage 50 Payroll is amazing, especially if you will be using it to process the payroll.
    Took me a week (if that) to become very familiar with it.

I think we had an offer of £120+VAT for all of it.

Also something else that is invaluable is the support sage provide. I must ring them 2-3 times a week and they clearly explain it to me and help me work it out if I'm struggling somewhere. Just today I rang up because a client asked me to explain how her SMP was worked out and my calculations wouldn't match what sage was showing, Sage support explained it to me clearly within 5-10 minutes.
  • Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    I did the CIPP payroll technician course which I found very good.

I also did the Sage courses which were also good - I've only ever used Sage but I'm led to believe there are better and cheaper packages out there. Sage does have it's issues but I like it as I am used to it so over time have worked around the issues I've come across. I do agree though that the Sage phone support is excellent (despite long 45min plus waiting times sometimes).

The software does it all for you but the CIPP course actually shows you what is happening behind the scenes, to the extent that you could run a payroll manually if needed.
  • MinhazMoosa
    MinhazMoosa Registered Posts: 10
    Nps said:

Sage phone support is excellent (despite long 45min plus waiting times sometimes).

Not sure if we pay extra but think its called sage priority support and I get to a representative usually in under a minute! yesterday I waited 2 minutes at 6 pm so I am really happy with it.

Agree with the point that there are cheaper packages out there, but the support/compliance and general effectiveness of Sage is widely known.

Also I have looked at the CIPP course previously and looks extremely expensive!
    Introduction to payroll is £700+!!!
  • Peanut14
    Thanks everyone. We use QuickBooks for our accounts so we would most likely use their payroll package as well. I've booked onto some of the HMRC webinars and will take it from there. We only have a small payroll of 11 people so hopefully the webinars should cover most of what I need.
Privacy Policy