Phasing out registered MIPs?

Hi all, am super-new here, and in fact haven't even submitted my MIP application form yet.

I was getting confused with my application because the help sheet page number references didn’t tie up with the application form itself.

Anyway, I rang up AAT and was told that the help sheet available on the website hasn’t yet been updated. I was also told that you can no longer apply to be registered MIP and that they are phasing them out which is why the application form has changed.

Does anyone else know about this? I have to admit it’s a bit of a blow. I would have found it easier to become registered, then apply to become licenced once I had a bit more experience under my belt. For example, I believe you need evidence of Practice Management experience – not sure how I can get this without getting a licence first (catch-22) or working for free for another accountant as I’m not currently in a job role where I do this on a daily basis. Also, I’ll need relevant work experience (of course) but it will have to be within the last 12 months. So if I’d taken a career break eg to have a child, how would I achieve this?

I haven’t seen any official announcements about this. I also wonder, if this is the case, why more support and information isn’t available on the website. As I said, I was looking to apply myself and did all the research. I am now rather disheartened by it all :anguished:

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    I'd suggest phoning the MIP Team and discussing through your concerns with them. They may be phasing out this option but no doubt they will have considered the impact and alternatives. They are the only ones who can really help with this.
    Regards,

Burg
  • Neillaw
    Neillaw Registered Posts: 307 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I only knew about the change because they contacted me a couple of months ago as I was on the registered scheme.
    Coming out of industry I've found the practice management hard and it was another accountant who pointed me in the right direction.
    As burg mentioned I would contact the MIP scheme.
  • Model500
    Model500 Registered Posts: 43 Regular contributor ⭐
    I've not heard about this but then I did two years Registered and then went for Licensed last year. I think Registered is a great introduction. Perhaps they are phasing it out and introducing another entry level method?
  • Arif_ikth
    Arif_ikth Registered Posts: 2
    Thanks for your comments everyone. I must admit I had a minor panic, thinking getting licensed would be a bit more difficult. I did a 'Be Your Own Boss' webinar with AAT last night and they seem keen to help you along if you want to apply. I asked the question about whether work experience had to be within the last 12 months and they said they will consider applications on a case by case basis and they won't rule you out immediately for that service if you don't have it.

In the end I've decided it will probably be best for me to do some volunteer work first and I can reapply later when I have more experience in place.
  • Model500
    Model500 Registered Posts: 43 Regular contributor ⭐
    that's exactly what I did Arif_ikth and some of those voluntary jobs have turned into clients. it pays off.
  • Claire R
    Claire R Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    @Model500 I agree that it's a good introduction. Sadly, I don't think they're replacing it. I was registered for a year and thought I had another year to build up my practice, experience, network, COP etc but just before Christmas I got the letter to say I had to become licenced by February. It threw me I must say. I would have thought those already on the scheme could be allowed to continue until their 2 years were up.
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    @Claire R I am in the same situation as you and thought I would have a few more months to build up my practice. On top of this I was selected for a practice review in December, not ideal at this time of the year!
    Right, must go and fill in more forms!
Privacy Policy