VAT refunds for DIY housebuilders

hairylairy
hairylairy Registered Posts: 22 New contributor 🐸
Can anyone help please. I had a new client call early January, asking for me to complete his application for a VAT refund for a new build he'd completed for himself. As we all know January is rather busy (with Tax Returns) so I told him I couldn't possibly deal with it then, but to get back to me February if he wanted. He did just that, but we've now discovered that his completion date for the build was 3 November 2015, so he has actually gone past the three month period of submitting a claim. Anyone come across this, he still wants me to carry on with it but I'm hoping some of you guys might suggest anything to help the claim?

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Does he have a reasonable excuse for the delay? My experience is HMRC are fairly reasonable in these circumstances. Only done 2 or 3 and not had any issues. Make sure you get paid before submission though.
    Regards,

Burg
  • hairylairy
    No he doesn't have an excuse as such, just didn't realise. I suppose I'll submit a covering letter pleading his case and hope for the best. He's assured me he'll pay me as soon as I've completed the claim though.
  • burg
    edited February 2016
    With those who are expecting refunds I've learned to be careful. Just get payemnt before you submit so you have so leverage i.e. don't pay we don't file it.
    Also we re-created the 'data entry' pages of the form onto Excel to speed up the process and save hand writing in every transaction.
    Regards,

Burg
  • hairylairy
    Thanks for your help. One other query you or someone might be able to help me with. My client hasn't actually moved into the property yet. The form asks 'Date you occupied the building', so, does it matter if he hasn't yet? Be very grateful for any help.
  • burg
    I think I would insert a date he is likely to occupy.
    Regards,

Burg
Privacy Policy