Cloud accounting packages

Hi
I wonder if I could have your thoughts on which accounting package to opt for, for a client who I'm trying to get to do their own inputting (I don't want to do bookkeeping for this client but have ended up doing so!).
I spend many days chasing invoices and trying to reconcile the bank account of a very scatty retailer with a large business.

I want a package that they input into and which I then reconcile the bank account to and produce VAT returns and Year End accounts (Ltd company).

I would be grateful for your input as I am lost with all the claims these companies make.......

Many thanks

Comments

• TraciePQ
    TraciePQ Registered Posts: 3
    No budget has been mentioned but as he's paying me to input I would assume around the £30-£40 a month
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Most software packages offer a free trial and at the end of the day your client has to feel comfortable with the software if you want them to use it. I am in the process of trialling a few packages for clients such as Quickbooks, Xero, FreeAgent and Kashflow. None of my clients are in retail though but in the practice I used to work for a lot of the retailers were put on Kashflow. Best to give these companies a call and see what they offer that would be most suitable for your client?
  • TraciePQ
    TraciePQ Registered Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice
  • traceygford
    traceygford Registered Posts: 12 New contributor 🐸
    I have used Xero in the past, where I was doing most of the inputting, but my client also made the odd adjustment. I found some of the terminology used on the software confused my client, they were mistaking receipts for credits and there isn't an audit trail, they have an activity history instead, which I found difficult to search. I seemed to get a lot of errors when importing the bank statements too, although this was done by downloading a csv from the bank and importing, rather than via bank feed which I think you had to pay extra for.
    I use quickbooks with another client and have started paying to use the importing software which is working quite well, once I got the hang of it the cost was worth the time saving. The client posts all of their own sales invoices and I do the reminder.
    One of my clients gets on very well with Freeagent, he has very few transactions but it seems good for a one-man band. It shows the corporation tax calculation throughout the year and shows deadline reminders so I find he tends to prompt me before something needs doing, rather than me chasing him as is the case with some of my other clients :)
    If you have any questions about one of the above I'm happy to answer, although I'm definitely not an expert!
    It may be worth getting the client to input the details into a spreadsheet, for you to then import into the software and just allow them viewing access to the software. I have found it can waste a lot of time when you're working on the accounts and the client has posted something you're not aware of, say in a previous period, and you're trying to work out what's gone wrong. It might be worth asking about the ability to 'lock' periods or stop other users posting at certain times.
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    TraciePQ said:

Hi

I want a package that they input into and which I then reconcile the bank account to and produce VAT returns and Year End accounts (Ltd company).

Just to add that the bookkeeping softwares mentioned above will not produce statutory year end accounts to be filed to Companies House. You would have to import the TB into an accounts production package ( I personally use VT accounts).
  • accountantpro
    accountantpro Registered Posts: 1
    Trial version of online accounting software is the best way of learning accounting package.
    Accounting Students those who are clever and alert of future life can earn online accounting software knowledge during the study at the time of leisure period.
Privacy Policy