Personal Tax - HELP! :(

britvic72
britvic72 Registered Posts: 11
Hi there

This is my first post and it's a bit of a desperation post. I've completed Levels 2 and 3 and have so far passed Budgeting and FSTM at Level 4. Since the start of Level 4 in Sept 2015 there has been a lot of disruption with the college as our tutor left suddenly and the college has struggled to recruit. This has meant that we fell behind in the budgeting and FSTM through no fault of our own. We have just started Personal Tax 2 weeks ago with a teacher we've never had before and we are only getting 10 x 3 hour classes. The AAT recommends 40 hours. Due to this the pace of the classes is ridiculously fast and i don't find this new teacher to be very approachable. The college are offering 3-4 additional classes which are to be held on weekends and over the Easter holidays, which is not ideal as I have a young son. Personally I think the college should be extending the course into July rather than trying to stick to the original late June finish date that was decided before all the disruption happened and expecting us to make up the shortfall of classes in our personal time.

In addition to the disruption at college, this year has been a killer for me with lots of ongoing personal stuff and I'm also starting to lose my motivation to complete Level 4 which would be a waste of money and effort. Does anybody know what will happen if I end up dropping out or failing personal tax 2015/16 this year. It would have been good to drop out of this subject so I can focus on Financial Performance, credit control and my Isys project - all of which needs to be completed in next 12 weeks. I feel like the tax is just a bit too much for me right now. The problem is that the new syllabus for AAT 2015 starts in Sept and I'm learning on AAT 2013. If I pass 5 out of 6 modules from the AAT 2013 syllabus, is it possible to do personal tax 16/17 from the 2015 syllabus in September and still pass my AAT or will I need to resit everything at 2015? Hope that makes sense?!

Thankyou :)

Comments

• zippi
    zippi Registered Posts: 182 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi

Yes you will be able to take Ptax after September. Old syllabus can be considered until Dec 2017 from what I know, after that you will have to transfer to AQ2016.

I am also stuck a bit like you. I have passed all my level4 exams first time accept cash management!! I started like yourself in sept but 2014. The problem with cash management is that the paper is extremely lengthy and some of the questions are very tricky and complicated. If I rush and complete the paper in given time than I get it wrong but if I take my time than I don't manage to finish the paper. Last exam I took in November I missed out by 5%. One of the college tutors worked it out for me.

Anyway all the best and good luck in your exams.

Zippi
  • britvic72
    Thanks for your reply Zippi.

That's a tough one with the cash mgmt exam. Is it 2.5 hrs. Fingers crossed that you get through it successfully next time. Do you do the green light tests ? I find them really helpful.

If I have til next Dec to complete p.tax I will be ok - just don't like feeling rushed on such a complex subject!

Good luck to you too
  • zippi
    Thank you for your wishes, I hope to pass too. Yes I do green light test and so far have acquired 90% in two of them and 100% in one. However it doesn't cover it all and exam q's are very different to any papers on line or any book assessment. I passed this in level 3 but as college chose the options, I didn't have any say in it. Unfortunately I have to do it! :(
    Lets hope I make it this time as it is very frustrating at times and I don't know what more could I do to help myself as I know most of the book very well

All the best to you too.
  • britvic72
    I know what you mean - two of the modules are meant to be electives but the college chooses them so you don't get a choice
  • britvic72
    Oh it chopped off half of my message

I went on to say that out tutor for tax said the Osborne book isn't very good and that we'd struggle with the exam if we purely use Osborne. She says BPP is a much more detailed book and she will also be using this to teach us.

Maybe it's the same with CM and it could be worth looking into the BPP book too?

Fingers crossed for you!
  • zippi
    Hi

All have used is just BPP books but exam questions are too long and just complicated! Out of this world I guess.

One part of one of the questions I had were regarding wages. You were given fixed overheads, and few other items and had to work out when each were paid from information provided. Also how much wages were paid in month of October, November, December but wages information was only given for previous 3 months July, August and September and were told wages are paid in the month they occur. Some questions placed are just ridiculous!!!

I have my exam in 2 days, I just hope I pass!

All the best to you too.
  • zippi
    Hi

Had an email from AAT, if you still want to continue as AQ 2013 you have to reinstate as a current student before 31 st of August or else you will automatically transfer to AQ2016 and will have to do synoptic tests on all current units. Best if you speak to them directly. I have to pass the exam before 31 st August or else
  • zippi
    Sorry missed half the comment...

Or else will have to reinstate as well. Let me know if you ring them on how to do this, thanks
  • britvic72
    Thanks Zippi.

We have been given a couple of later exam dates so hopefully I'll be ready to pass ptax by then. If not I'll call the AAT and repost their response on this thread :)
  • zippi
    Ok thanks, great!:)
Privacy Policy