Finding a job for career changers

Options
I am 28 years old, english as a 2nd main language. I have had good career experience in Retail management. But as a long term goal of being a chartered accountant I am desperately looking for a change in job. I see many vacancy and training program but i rarely get selected to 2nd stage. Once I was through to the last stage but got unsuccessful and was a sad moment for me. I also don't want to apply for the jobs below 18K even I am new to accounting role. I have a family to look after and below 18K is absolutely impossible to run a family. I know I can do a lot better in real accounting work field. I have had good studies. I studied accounting in my A level equivalent and doing Level 3 AAT now.
Is there anyone here with similar issues to share with and to share your any achievements or how you overcame your situations?

Comments

• Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    Options
    You may have to re-look at your salary expectations. Depending on where you are in the country, £18k for someone with no accounting experience may be optimistic (it is also perfectly reasonable in other parts of the country though).

Also, as English is not your first language, I would ask someone to proof read your CV and covering letters as grammatical errors are likely to count against you if there is competition for a role.

Finally, I would advise that you look at doing some voluntary work to show commitment and to gain some relevant experience.
  • rakeshsuwal
    rakeshsuwal Registered Posts: 79
    Options
    I am from London. I don't have problem with normal English. I do have accent of my own language. I have worked in retail management earning good experience and good income but of my desired qualification I am changing my career.
    Thanks for your advice though Nps. Cheers.
  • PeterC
    PeterC Registered, Tutor Posts: 245 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Do you have any entrepreneurial skills? Some AAT students in similar circumstances have successfully built up their own practices in their spare time.
  • rakeshsuwal
    rakeshsuwal Registered Posts: 79
    Options
    Peter, are studying students allowed to open our own firm? Also thanks for the suggestion.
  • Adele69
    Adele69 Registered Posts: 320
    Options
    If you pass level 3 wouldn't you have enough knowledge to do the bookkeeping and financial statements for Sole Traders?

I've mainly worked in local government for 20 years and there are a lot of AAT and part qualified staff, some who got funded at work, others who did it in their own time alongside a full time accounts or admin role. I've noticed most of the colleges' accounts assistant staff are AAT part/qualified, and these are from 18-24k

There is more for qualified and experienced people, HR and Payroll also has a premium, some software packages (we're at the end of an Oracle contract, the University main depts also use Oracle).
Privacy Policy