Building a cabin to accommodate woodland course participants

EAP
EAP Registered Posts: 63 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi everyone,
It's been a while since I finished my studies and I've been asked a question I'm not sure I can answer - hope someone here can! My brother runs woodland courses in his woods (he lives there and runs a charcoal business), this year he's building a cabin to provide accommodation for those who want to stay over. It's cost 8k in building materials so far and I've told him I don't think he can claim capital allowances or even taxable expenses as it would count as a holiday let. Am I wrong? Has anyone else dealt with anything similar?

Comments

• RyanMIP
    RyanMIP Registered Posts: 50
    Claim it all under AIA
  • south59
    south59 Registered Posts: 22
    I'm starting to form the opinion that this section of the forum should be password protected. Some answers, not questions - form many laughs elsewhere.

How can you seem so confident, yet be so wrong?

What is this? A sabotage mission?

I'm all for getting answers wrong, nobody is perfect - yet it is posted in a way which looks like a matter of fact.

Dear me.
  • RyanMIP
    Quite right, but 'mrme89' doesn't seem to get the message.
  • south59
    My comment wasn't directed to mrme89.
  • RyanMIP
    Right. It's capital expenditure under the 200k limit?? I saw a case like this about a year ago.
  • south59
    Oh come on - what's your issue with the AAT?
  • EAP
    EAP Registered Posts: 63 Regular contributor ⭐
    Thanks @mrme89 that's sort of what I thought. You are absolutely right (and you put it very tactfully) - I'm out of my depth here. I've told my brother - twice - that he needs to get professional advice. Hopefully I can make it sound complex enough that he'll take heed! I'm not involved in preparation of accounts at all at present. It was all so simple when he just made charcoal and sold it!
    Thanks everyone for all your help.
Privacy Policy