Agent Codes and 64-8

Hi

I was under the impression that online agent codes replaced the long process of the 64-8 paper method.

I called HMRC yesterday about a client and the guy on the phone was getting really shirty telling me that they are completely different and as I have not filed a paper 64-8, they could not talk to me.

I read the letter they sent to one of my clients with the authorisation code on it and it said that by giving this code to their agent, HMRC would be able to deal with that agent in matters relating to that client for what the code was for, i.e. CT.

Anybody else had this issue with HMRC and do they know how long it takes from entering the code in their agent gateway, to HMRC recognising that agent for that client?

Thanks
Carl Derving FMAAT | Managing Director
AMS Accountants
www.ams4u.co.uk | 01482 257752

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    I have had the same too. I managed to find out the reason on some of them. If I client authorises you by logging into the the Government Gateway rather than the code method you explain this only gives filing authority. Yet to come across one where the code has been issued yet though to challenge them again.
    Regards,

Burg
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Had similar problems in the past so I am sticking to the paper 64-8 method until the code method is reliable!
  • AMS_Accountants
    AMS_Accountants Registered Posts: 31
    Might have to issue a 64-8 to all my clients then because I signed them all up on the code method.
    Carl Derving FMAAT | Managing Director
    AMS Accountants
    www.ams4u.co.uk | 01482 257752
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    My clients all fill a 64-8 form which I only keep in my files as it contains the information I need to fill in the online form so may well send all these to HMRC just in case? Or will this confuse HMRC?
Privacy Policy