Tax reference books ideas please

Options
Hello everyone,

I'm very new to this so please forgive me if this has been asked before. Please bear with me!

I qualified with the AAT in 2003 and became a member. I worked in 2 different accountancy practices for the next 8 years. I then had time out to have children and returned to work as an industry accountant in a manufacturing firm for 5 years. I now manage a business for a director in quite a niche market (vintage propellers) and act as bookkeeper/accountant/general handy-person! I have been doing this for the past 3 years and I am now considering taking the plunge and becoming an MIP.

Anyway, enough rambling. I try and keep up-to-date with the various tax changes but would really like to refresh my tax knowledge. I have looked into the ATT but am not sure if this is what I need. I am sure there are some great books out there that I could refer to and lots of online info. My question is this - can anyone recommend any good reference books regarding tax please? (all aspects of tax - Corp Tax, Inheritance Tax, Personal Tax etc. etc.)

Also, do any of you sign up to any alerts regarding changes to tax legislation? I read the Accounting Web alerts every day and also try and keep abreast of the Government website. I just wondered if anyone had any advice please?

Thank you for your patience! I have been sitting in the background reading all the wonderful help that people give, plucking up the courage to post ;)

Ange

Comments

• knightyo
    knightyo Registered Posts: 27
    Options
    Haha that didn't make any sense! I didn't say that I was already working in practice BEFORE 2003! Started in 1999/2000. Just call me Marty McFly.
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Options
    Hi Ange (or should I call you Marty?)

As a member of the ATT I got the Tolleys tax guide for free - very comprehensive. I think the retail cost is about £100.

I also subscribe to rossmartin.co.uk - lots of up to date information and practical toolkits (however it is not cheap at £32.50 per month).

• knightyo
    knightyo Registered Posts: 27
    Options
    @MarieNoelle thank you so much for your answer. I'm going to take a look now. That's just what I needed :)
Privacy Policy