Much better name!! Licensed Accountants :-)

Options
Londina
Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
Oh finally the AAT changed the name from Members in Practice to "AAT Licensed Accountants", that's much clearer as it clarifies that:
1) we are also accountants (not just people with ACCA, ACA, etc..) and
2) AAT members who run their own practice, not that they are employees in a practice!

Comments

• MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Options
    mrme89 said:

Whether licensed or MIP, there will still be snobbery from other associations!

Agree but I think it makes it clearer for our clients (not that mine care anyway).
  • TreadStone
    TreadStone Registered Posts: 280 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I prefer the new term but as stated, most clients couldn't give two hoots what association you belong to.
  • Londina
    Options
    for whose who are not familiar with accounting terminology, "Licensed Accountant" makes more sense
  • JayB2606
    JayB2606 Registered Posts: 36 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    it's a bit unfair to rag on the other associations isn't?

- It's better to value people with experience not qualifications

- AAT, ACCA and ACA are all highly respective qualifications

- the term accountant is not restrictive anyway only the word 'chartered'
    ACCA, FMAAT, Licenced Accountant and ACCA Practising Certificate
  • knightyo
    knightyo Registered Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am waiting to see if I have been accepted as an AAT Licensed Accountant. I hear this week (fingers crossed). This post has really cheered me up as I have experienced so much negativity in the past few months from 'friends' who I trained with about starting my own practice. Comments ranging from 'but you're not a proper accountant' to 'you can't you're only AAT qualified'. I consider myself an Accountant with over 16 years experience but it really did knock my confidence. Up until these last few months, I really didn't know this attitude existed. So this post and your comments have boosted my confidence. Thank you :)
  • Londina
    edited June 2016
    Options
    knightyo said:

'you can't you're only AAT qualified'

same here @knightyo , I received same comments from friends and recruiters who thought AAT can only do work up to Trial Balance and that's it :o

Glad you find my post useful!

• Jawz
    Jawz Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I kind of like the new name, just for the fact that it says 'Licenced' in it. I think it may help to win those potential clients who are not 100% sure , the word licenced may give them that confidence in you. However, I agree @mrme89, definitely best to avoid those "know it all clients"

@knightyo I can understand your frustration with negative comments like that, but honestly dont let them get you down! You probably found out that they're just envious of you doing your own thing!
  • knightyo
    knightyo Registered Posts: 27
    Options
    @Jawz Thank you :)
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Definitely makes us sound more "official" to non accounting people.
Privacy Policy