Initial Start-up Problems

Hi Guys,

With any luck I should have my own company up and running in the next 6 weeks. I was curious as to the problems people came across in the beginning when setting up, whether it be major issues or problems that simply went under the radar?

Richard

Comments

• MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Do not underestimate the time it takes to register as an agent with HMRC, get your codes, register your clients, get their authorisation codes etc...if you haven't done so write to HMRC now if you want to be ready in 6 weeks.

Maybe it's just me but I found the admin more time consuming then I imagined, especially at the beginning. Have checklists in place before you start.
    Also don't rush into buying software before you really need it and research the market and prices.
  • Richardc1994
    Richardc1994 Registered Posts: 11
    Hi Marie,

Thank you for your guidance.

I have registered with the Government Gateway and tried to enrol the services I am offering however it seems like a need to set up the company before I can proceed any further. Is this correct?
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Yes you would need your company set up.
    For SA and CT you need to write to HMRC Longbenton to obtain an agent code, it can not be done on line.
  • Richardc1994
    Much appreciated! The AAT website doesn't give much information on this unfortunately.
  • tillyjbc
    tillyjbc Registered Posts: 46 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi, I completely agree with MarieNoelle - it took up much time than I expected to set up as MIP in April. Make a list of the compliance procedure and plough through. And applying for agent codes......IN WRITING... that means you actually have to go to the postbox!!!! And that took me ages gathering the information to request the codes too. I had not anticipated how HMRC operate. I've just read another post about lack of activity on this forum, I find just reading other people's queries and answers really helpful but it does mean I'm only reading, not contributing. So I'm going to make more of an effort to contribute!
  • Richardc1994
    Thank you tillyjbc. I called HMRC regarding this and it was like I was talking a foreign language haha. As soon as I have my company set up I will write to them!
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    My biggest problem has been IT infrastructure, I want to be able to work from home as well as from the office and I've had problems getting a server solution set up (probably because I asked my husband to do it!)
Privacy Policy