AAT/ACCA MIP advice!

Options
Hi everyone,
I am both AAT and ACCA qualified currently working full time in industry. Due to having a baby recently I am looking into the option of becoming self employed doing bookkeeping, vat, paye and a little tax (all of which i have extensively covered in my work experience).
I believe I should be able to get my AAT MIP with my experience, but maybe not ACCA.. However I'm not in a position where I can just quit my job to be self employed. My problem is that my job now requires me to hold ACCA membership... but I know ACCA won't allow you to practice publicly without their practising certificate!

Has anyone been in a similar situation?? In a 'perfect world' I would get my AAT MIP, be self employed part time until business builds up, then leave my job and also ACCA... but its not going to be that easy is it? I don't want my manager to twig that i plan on leaving one day so I don't want to let the ACCA membership lapse too soon. My manager pre maternity leave will sign off my MIP application for my experience as they've only recently left the company.

Should I just offer bookkeeping services at first and hope I get enough business from that to go full time and then get my MIP..?

Any advice on how to go about this would be appreciated!!

Comments

• JayB2606
    JayB2606 Registered Posts: 36 Regular contributor ⭐
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I would only offer bookkeeping, vat, paye as you will not need an ACCA practising cert in order to do it
    ACCA, FMAAT, Licenced Accountant and ACCA Practising Certificate
  • JayB2606
    JayB2606 Registered Posts: 36 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    As an ACCA member, you may provide basic bookkeeping services which include: payroll; VAT; the recording of basic accounting data; and the preparation of accounting records to trial balance.
    ACCA, FMAAT, Licenced Accountant and ACCA Practising Certificate
Privacy Policy