Tentative book-keeping plans

Hi everyone
Just looking for some help/advice. I was never someone happy in just one line of work, and I currently am employed by Royal Mail and OCR/CIE (an exam board), both part-time. I've always been quite numerate and thought it might be useful to add a bookkeeping string to my bow. In my mind this would be a modest income of max 5k a year, just doing books for individuals/small businesses. I'm moving to Manchester city centre in the next few months. So I was wondering how feasible that sounds, and what qualifications I might need to take? I'm not sure what info you need to be able to advise me on this, so please feel free to ask further questions!
Many thanks
Greg

Comments

• gregfrain
    gregfrain Registered Posts: 5
    PS 'quite numerate' was a bit vague of me - I have a Maths degree
  • gregfrain
    Hi again - just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the best way forward for me?
    Thanks
    Greg
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Hi Greg
    It's unclear whether you have already started the AAT or not?
    If you haven't you may want to talk to the AAT but there are also other bookkeeping qualifications with different bodies. It also depends how you see your business on the side (just bookkeeping or full accounts, tax returns etc...).
  • gregfrain
    Hi MarieNoelle, thanks for the reply. I haven't studied any qualifications yet. I don't see it as being anything too involved - just individuals/small businesses, book-keeping and tax returns etc.
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    If you chose to study for the AAT qualification (part time or self study - can take up to 3 years) you may then apply to become an AAT Licensed Bookkeeper.
    Best to give them a call.
  • gregfrain
    Ok, thanks - I'll look into that but it all seems more involved than I was hoping. Ideally I want to have sufficient qualifications to be professional about it and not a cowboy, but given that it is probably going to be my third income stream I don't want it to be too convoluted or expensive.
Privacy Policy