Hi please help me

Ali buys 120 cans of drinkv for a total of £30 he wants to make a profit of 40% work out the price for which he should sell each can of drink
Please type the working out

Comments

• Neillaw
    Neillaw Registered Posts: 307 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    30/120 * 1.4 = Price
  • PolarisDyas
    PolarisDyas Registered Posts: 24
    Remember that if he spent £30 and wants to make 40% profit, he needs to make a total of (30 * 140%) £42.

So if he needs to make £42 and has 120 cans, he can divide 42/120 to get the answer per can.

There are several ways to work this question out, if you can figure out a few different methods then that would tell me you understood it completely.

- Pol
  • crispy
    crispy Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hello,

Would you not £ 30/0.6 = £ 50 for the total
    So, £ 50 - £ 30 = £ 20 Profit (£ 20 / £ 50 = 40 %)

£ 50 / 120 cans = £ 0.4167 say £ 0.42

• PolarisDyas
    crispy said:

Hello,
    Would you not £ 30/0.6 = £ 50 for the total

???

Why did you divide by 0.6? To get the total (Spend + 40% Profit) you would Multiply by 1.4 or 140% which gives 42.

42 - 30 = £12 Profit

42/120 = £0.35

Something to note: If in the exam you're asked a question like this, your answer is most likely incorrect if you have a long decimal figure (Like £ 0.4167) UNLESS in the question is states how many decimals to place.

• crispy
    Hi,

Maybe am reading wrong, but as above would not a profit of 12 represent of profit of 28.6 % only (ie. 12 / Selling price of 42). By multiplying by 1.4 I think this would be marking-up by 40 %, not achieving a profit margin of 40 %.

The 0.4167 looks a bit wonky to me too but,
    Selling Price 0.42
    Cost 0.25 (30/120)
    Profit 0.17

0.17 / 0.42 = 40 %

I was bored half asleep at work when writing my answer so who knows :)
  • PolarisDyas
    crispy said:

Hi,

Maybe am reading wrong, but as above would not a profit of 12 represent of profit of 28.6 % only (ie. 12 / Selling price of 42). By multiplying by 1.4 I think this would be marking-up by 40 %, not achieving a profit margin of 40 %.

The 0.4167 looks a bit wonky to me too but,
    Selling Price 0.42
    Cost 0.25 (30/120)
    Profit 0.17

0.17 / 0.42 = 40 %

I was bored half asleep at work when writing my answer so who knows :)

The answer is 0.35, don't try to argue with that and accept it because it will make your life so much easier with future questions (Trust me, you will want to argue A LOT when things get more complex).

If the sell price was 0.42 and you sold all the cans you would be making £50.40 which is £20.40 MORE than what he bought them for.

That's making a 68% profit. Not 40%

• crispy
    Hi,

Thank you for the advice regarding future questions however I finished AAT maybe 10 years ago....

Sales 50.40
    COS 30.00
    Profit 20.40

Profit Margin = 40 % (20.4 / 50.4)
    Mark Up = 60 % ( 30 / 50.4)

Or maybe im going mad ?

Anyway, hope the OP sees our responses and can take something from it. Mark-Up / Margin can get confusing.

• MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368

The answer is 0.35, don't try to argue with that and accept it because it will make your life so much easier with future questions (Trust me, you will want to argue A LOT when things get more complex).

Wow. I hope this is not how you talk or intend to talk to your clients.

The question is badly worded in the first place. A 40% profit on what?
    Both answers could be correct. I actually came to the same conclusion as @crispy initially, but can see the other answer is also valid.
  • h0llymay
    h0llymay Registered Posts: 24
    I just added 40% on to £30 which gave me £42, £42 / 120 = 0.35
  • PolarisDyas

Wow. I hope this is not how you talk or intend to talk to your clients.

The question is badly worded in the first place. A 40% profit on what?
    Both answers could be correct. I actually came to the same conclusion as @crispy initially, but can see the other answer is also valid.

@MarieNoelle @crispy

I read back what I wrote this morning and yes, that shouldn't have been said and I was being very ignorant.

Please accept my apologies for being rude Crispy, you are right; both answers could be correct.
  • pavan_515
    pavan_515 Registered Posts: 12
    Ok guyyss I already worked it out 10 mins after I posted this lol btw and please don't comment anything else especially you polarisdyas
  • pavan_515
    And BTW that's from a bloody workbook
  • h0llymay
    Pavan, what was the correct answer and workings in the end?
  • Mishel
    Mishel Registered Posts: 5
    Hi,

I'll try to explain:

First work out what the price of one can is:

so 120 cans = £30, therefore 1 can is 30/120 = £0.25 pounds

So then he wants to make a profit of 40%, so add this to 100% = 140%

So 140/100 x £0.25 = £0.35 - this is the price he should sell each can of drink in order to earn 40% profit

Hope it helps.

• mike150185
    mike150185 Registered Posts: 41
    1. You don't own the comments section.
    2. The question is worded poorly. I would guess you have left a part out, otherwise I'm surprised a real textbook would word it like that.

@h0llymay the answer is 35p because 120 cans cost £30 which equals 25p per can. Multiply this by 1.40 to get 35p. Not that anyone would know but the question is asking for a mark up of 40%. If it was asking for a profit margin of 40%, you would divide 25p by 0.60 (100% less 40% profit margin) which is how others got 42p. Questions will usually specify mark up or margin.
  • mike150185
    @pavan_515 I'm perfectly calm and I wasn't commenting for YOUR benefit; someone else asked a question
  • pavan_515
    BTW how do u delete this post so no one can comment on it
  • pavan_515
    @mike150185 sorry my bad btw stop commenting now
  • mike150185
    OK
  • h0llymay
    Pavan is a rather rude person
  • pavan_515
    I apologise for being rused I know but if you were me wouldn't you be getting frustrated by reviving notifications all day long about this question which has been already answered
  • pavan_515
    *rude*
  • h0llymay
    I also like how you've deleted your comments, no one will want to help you out next time if that's the response you give. You're on your own.
  • h0llymay
    Frustrated or not, do not lash out at members that are trying to help you and others who are also studying AAT. We're all in the same boat.
  • pavan_515
    Guess your right sorry but please please everyone stop commenting
  • pavan_515
    I didn't delete any comments
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    edited September 2016
    pavan_515 said:

I apologise for being rused I know but if you were me wouldn't you be getting frustrated by reviving notifications all day long about this question which has been already answered

@pavan_515

You can change your settings so you do not receive notifications each time someone comments.
    Deleting a question once you have had the answer is not in the spirit of the forum. I am sure other forum users will find the conversation useful.
    Please also remember to remain polite even if you disagree.
  • pavan_515
    Ok thank you and BTW to all people I've offended I'm sorry thank you very much for giving me the answer even though I um knew it 10 mins after I posted this question
  • Neillaw
    Neillaw Registered Posts: 307 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Pavan_515
    It would appear to me that since you got the answer 10 mins after posting the question you didn't initially spend long enough trying to work out the answer. You've put this onto the forum for an easy answer.
    When you read through this thread it's length is increased by your comments which seemed to critise.
    People who use this forum help each other, I've posted questions which have had several reply's and others have had none.
    The question was basic and therefore you should have expected a number of responses.
    I would certainly think twice in the future about answering a question posted by you!
Privacy Policy