Best cloud based file storage/sharing for small practice

TreadStone
TreadStone Registered Posts: 280 Epic contributor 🐘
We're actually thinking of arriving in the 21st century and looking into cloud sharing options for our small practice.

There will only be 5/6 of us but it would be handy for eveyone to be able to locate documents etc with a simple log-in to our cloud storage.

The IT guy we use has recommended Dropbox for £79 with each person having their own file(s).

Be interested to see what others are using ?

Comments

• Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Iris OpenSpace
  • TreadStone
    Is that the same one you recommended in my post about document signing Gem ?
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    We use datto drive. Like dropbox but larger storage facilities, more reliable and better prices.
    Regards,

Burg
  • TreadStone
    Has anyone used or currently use Adobe Document Cloud ?
  • TreadStone
    I've been looking at Office 365, Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive, Adobe Document Cloud etc, etc and my head is swirling.

What we're after is a cloud based storage/file sharing solution where all staff memebrs can log-in from their own pc and access, for example, client fees.

At the minute, fees are created then stored on the individual's pc in a fee folder. A hard copy is then handed to the boss who keeps a paper file containing all the fees. If a client is late paying then a copy needs to be posted (yes you read right, POSTED).

We'd like (that means me) to be able to store all current year fees in a folder in the cloud so if a copy needs to be amended/re-sent etc, any staff member can access it and amend/forward via email.

Surely most of you work like this nowadays ?

We're thinking of getting rid of the typewriter next year.... =)
  • burg
    We do the following:-

All fee notes etc are prepared using Xero and staff have access to this.

All client files i.e. Accounts working papers, tax work, permanent files etc are stored in windows folders. Although these are stored on each local machine certain folders are then allocated as shared using Datto drive (https://dattodrive.com/)

Once a document is added or changes then it is rolled out to the other users.

It is currently free but will become $10 per terabyte per month so not expensive.

It is a little slower than Dropbox to sync between machines but it is more reliable. I've ended up with missing files on some machines with Dropbox.
    Regards,

Burg
  • TreadStone
    burg said:

We do the following:-

All fee notes etc are prepared using Xero and staff have access to this.

Thanks. Do you use Xero for your own practice bookkeeping ?

I;ll take a look at Datto Drive too.
  • burg
    Yes we use Xero for our own practice as well as soon to be all (well 95% of) clients too.
    Regards,

Burg
  • TreadStone
    burg said:

Yes we use Xero for our own practice as well as soon to be all (well 95% of) clients too.

Where are you based ? Tempted to pop in for some practice mentoring =)
  • burg
    I'm in Gloucestershire. If you ar enot local then I'm happy to have a chat at some point over the phone.
    Regards,

Burg
Privacy Policy