Voluntary work - not a licence member

Hi,

I'm considering at some point in the near future applying for a licence to become self employed. Having worked in the 3rd sector in recent years there are some gaps in experience I need to address first, for example, ltd company statutory accounts. A friend of a friend has a small ltd company and has said she'd be happy for me to do some voluntary work for her to help gain experience. Is this possible without a licence? If so, what sort of work could I do without a licence - e.g. could I prepare the statutory accounts? Are there any other things I need to consider?

Grateful for any advice/comments.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Gemwor
    Gemwor Registered Posts: 21
    Thanks for the reply. It would be completely voluntary with no payment whatsoever. I just really want to gain some experience so I'm grateful for the opportunity. She's not a friend of mine and we've never actually met, she's a friend of a friend so I don't feel that there's any real issue there. As for AAT I have 'said' that I'm qualified but no more than that.

So if I did prepare the statutory accounts would I just provide my name and home address? obviously I don't have a business yet and probably won't for some time.
  • Gemwor
    Good point @MarieNoelle. It's a very small and simple business from what I can gather but I'd still be a little nervous I think. I'm finding it extremely difficult to get the experience - the usual chicken/egg situation so I just didn't want to pass up the opportunity without exploring it.
  • Gemwor
    Sorry @MarieNoelle I forgot to say thank for the reply! Thank you
  • Gemwor
    I'm not too concerned about the accuracy but maybe a bit nervous about the advice giving so you're probably right. I'm just really struggling to get the work experience. Can't get into a practice which seems to be quite a common issue. I think I'll start with the bookkeeping licence and figure out a way to address the statutory accounts experience later on. Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply, your answers have been very helpful.
Privacy Policy