File a Company Tax Return

My client CT accounting period ends 31/3/16. I would like to file with HMRC the CT return but the period is not available. Why is that? Can someone explain to me how does all this work? I was able to file the CT with Companies House separately. That is due by 31/12/2016-which is the 9 months period.

Comments

• browny76
    browny76 Registered Posts: 22 New contributor 🐸
    Hi, HMRC withdrew their free online CT filing tool, for yearends after the 31st December 2015. From now on we have to purchase software with the capacity to file CT600's online.
  • charlenebb
    charlenebb Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi
    I got caught out with this. Yes this free CT filing tool with HMRC is no longer available to agents. I cannot understand why they have taken this option away. I have been using taxcal trail version which I absolutely love. It has the production as well and it produces files in IXBRL. They have packages for Mirco practices (12 Clients). Its not a bad price but I would of preferred to spread the costs. I already use Quickbooks desktop Accountants (love it more then the onine quickbooks).
  • Mrslearning
    Mrslearning Registered Posts: 12
    Thank you very much!
    I've been using VT software and allways attaching it when I was online with HMRC.
    So that is not possible right? I have only one CT client ! I will look at the Quick book ! !
  • charlenebb
    Well I never attached the company files when filling at HMRC. I just used HMRC software to enter the company final accounts and the CT600. HMRC system then filed the accounts with Companies House for me at the same time.

If you don't have many clients then it could get costly and you need to keep your costs down. I have never used VT but I heard its good.

I am looking at keeping quickbooks for clients and then doing all tax filing with Taxcal or another software provider. I would love to find something that is does everything with low costs.

oh I use quickbooks to file vat returns
  • Mrslearning
    Thank you to all! Maybe I actually have other problem as the HMRC is saying this:

Important changes to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) free filing service for company tax returns
    HMRC is replacing its existing free filing software with a new online service designed for unrepresented companies with straightforward affairs.
    You can use the existing software until 31 December 2016 to file company tax returns for accounting periods ending on or before 31 December 2015, but not for later accounting periods.
    The new online service is available now and you can use it if it suits your circumstances

So I should be able to use their NEW ONLINE SERVICE, but when I proceed on their page I get stack when I have to choose the period for which I like to file the tax return!! There is only last year period for which the company already filled their CT return. Is it because the rule is

File annual accounts with Companies House
    9 months after your company’s financial year ends
    Pay Corporation Tax or tell HMRC that your limited company doesn’t owe any
    9 months and 1 day after your ‘accounting period’ for Corporation Tax ends
    12 months after your accounting period for Corporation Tax ends

I filled their accounts with Companies House successfully. Now how the company can pay their Tax liabilities 9 months after the accounting period ( due 31/12/16) if I am not able to file it before the 12 months period ends?

Thank you in advance for any help!
  • charlenebb
    Any accounting periods ending 31st December 2015and before can file CT600 online with HMRC software up until 31st December 2016.

Your period end is 31st March 2016 therefore you are not able to file the CT600 with HMRC software (you have to use commercial software. HMRC have a list you can look at for recommended suppliers). I know you have nine months to file but you cannot use HMRC software.

Hope this makes sense
  • Mrslearning
    The problem is that the accounting period is/was 31.3.2016! And 9 months by when the company have to pay is 31.12.16
  • charlenebb
    Your period end is 31st March 2016 therefore you are not able to file the CT600 with HMRC software (you have to use commercial software).
  • charlenebb
    You can file anytime between 31st March 2016 & 31st December 2016.
  • Mrslearning
    Thank you for your patience! I am sorry I was so slow to understand !
    But still the sentence from HMRC

12 months after your accounting period for Corporation Tax ends

Is it for what then?
  • charlenebb
    Really not sure about that. I do think they did extend the time for filling to give people more time. There has to be a cut of time so I know that you will not be able to file now using there software.

My filing date was 31st January 2016 and I left if late. It was the only client I had left to file. I do not have the option to use HMRC software as my period is after the 31st December 2016
  • charlenebb
    Just checked on the Gov website. You have nine months and 1 day to pay the corporation tax due and 12 months to file your CT600 after the accounting period ends.

https://www.gov.uk/company-tax-returns

You will still have to use other software to file your return
  • Mrslearning
    Well - I an lost!
  • Mrslearning
    Yes so basically you pay 9m and 1 day after period ends but file the accounts in 12 months.
  • Mrslearning
    Paying is before filling right? For HMRC!
  • charlenebb
    lol. Take your time. HMRC are advising everyone how to file there returns. That has not changed. They also are making it clear that agents cannot use there software.

I think you are confusing the deadline dates for filing and the cut of date HMRC has put in place for using there software.

• Mrslearning
    Thank you very very much!
  • charlenebb
    Great you've got it.
Privacy Policy