Disengagement of payroll services and new accountants request for information

Options
monkeypuzzle47
monkeypuzzle47 Registered Posts: 134 Dedicated contributor 🦉
I have recently dis-engaged my services for a client. Their new accountant has requested balances for payroll. I have provided all the information they would require to continue the clients payroll. However, they have now come back and requested our payroll software back up file. My question is would you send the file or not? I am not sure if I am actually allowed to do this? Anyone's opinion would be appreciated on this matter and thank you in advance.

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    I don't see any reason why not. I'm never obstructive in handing over info it's not worth my time or effort. I do however contact prospective new accountants if there is relevant info they should know regarding a client when deciding to accept the appointment.
    Regards,

Burg
  • monkeypuzzle47
    Options
    thanks Burg, i just wondered if it was the done thing. I have taken new payroll clients over before and have had always had to re-enter all the payroll information. I had already sent the new accountant the export files for employees names and addresses the P11 Deductions. I just did not think it was fair that he just gets to continue where i left off. Not to mention he may start to question my work if he feels like it. But yes, why waste the time - I will just send him the file. I was just thinking there maybe some i.t policy issue :)
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    There may well be a degree of time saving for the new accountant, probably why they asked. I've asked for info before. Makes my life easier and if asked, I'm happy to handover info too. Sometimes I may even suggest it as it can save me time exporting reports. I don't necessarily consider all other accountants rivals. We all have our own place in the market but there are thousands of clients to go around everyone. I gain my fair share and focus on good customer service to retain them. Doesn't work for everyone but when clients decide to go I just aim to get it sorted ASAP so they are off my case.
    Regards,

Burg
  • monkeypuzzle47
    Options
    thanks Burg. Will send it and get him off my case too :) thanks. I know you have been on this forum a while so I appreciate the advice. This client had been with me 9 years! I just wanted to decrease my workload so decided to part ways. Thanks Burg.
Privacy Policy