1st February

I hope everyone managed to get all their tax returns done without too much hassle. I know I didn't! This year has definitely made me realise that I don't have to put up with the rubbish from certain clients.

Comments

• TreadStone
    TreadStone Registered Posts: 280 Epic contributor 🐘
    knightyo said:

This year has definitely made me realise that I don't have to put up with the rubbish from certain clients.

I'm fortunate in that the practice I'm employed in, I don't handle the Self Assessments. We have one guy who submits THEM ALL. He works late, weekends and normally until very late on the 31st. Pretty much every year. God knows what would happen if he's ill in that final week :s

I'm interested to know how many of you work in this way and how many have cut-offs and/or additional fees to "penalise" the persistant clients who are ALWAYS late to the party ?

If you do work like this, why do you accept it ? It's easy to blame the clients but is it really down to them or is it poor management/organisation on your part ?

• knightyo
    knightyo Registered Posts: 27
    Hi @Treadstone, it's a learning curve for me this year as this is the first year I have 'gone it alone'. I sent out my checklists and requests for information well in advance but also told everyone my cut-off date. Anything that was given to me after the cut-off date was not guaranteed to be submitted on time and that is what I stuck to. I still had certain people shouting asking why it couldn't be done in a day and this is the hassle I was referring to. The majority of my clients have been fantastic but the odd few have been a pain and I feel liberated knowing that I have done absolutely nothing wrong with regards to my stance.
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Last return was submitted on the 30th, but I started on their accounts in September. They have a bookkeeper still using the old fashioned manual entries. There were so many mistakes that we agreed I would start from scratch and re enter the transactions on my software. Discovered they were owed a few thousands from overpaying suppliers so the owner was happy to pay my extra fees.
    They are now on the cloud so next year should be easier!

I am in the process of moving all my clients onto the cloud so hopefully last minute catch up won't happen next year (she says optimistically
  • Neillaw
    Neillaw Registered Posts: 307 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    This year's been a real pain with people dragging their feet.
    Had to go and pick up a set off books last night, didn't send me his bank statements until 8:30.
    Usual comment "haven't done much this year" (T/O 190K), 70 bank statements and a bag full of invoices. Been chasing him since December so it's his own fault. He rang me this morning to ask if i'd managed to submit in time.
    Also got the forgot to bring it down to you on Monday so I came to the conclusion if the client isn't bothered about it why should I bust a gut or cut corners to get things done.
    The guy converted to a Ltd company last year with a year end 31 Jan which he's sorted out but not his SA.
  • knightyo
    If there was a 'love it' button, I'd have pressed it @mrme89 ^^
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    I would add that although I didn't get too stressed this year about tax returns being filed on time, I am still chasing info for VAT returns due next week. So no time to relax now!
  • TreadStone
    mrme89 said:

The guy in Treadstone’s office is a complete mug in my opinion.

He's employed though and he gets paid to do his job. Granted, that doesn't necessarily mean he should have to put up with working the hours he does every January but it's become "the norm".

It's literally down to numbers and if the workload was delegated, it wouldn't be an issue.

He does have plenty down-time in February though so he's prepared to put those hours in :)

• TreadStone
    mrme89 said:

It just sounds like crap management to me.

Agreed.
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    We were pretty much done. We had three that we didnt get any info for but we filed 126 throughout January. This year was worse than last and was mainly down to us. We knew we needed another member of staff and advertised in February. We finally were sorted by May but it didn't work out. Two new members of staff then started in September and as normal take a while to settle in.

The first member of staff was not working well and this led to things not working as effectively and clients did not get chased as much as they should have done. We had cut off times in place but these were just 'we won't guarantee to file'.

It is being reviewed during February and there will be financial penalties in place for info submitted after a certain date. Likely to be after 31 October + Β£50 after 30 November + Β£75 after 31 December + Β£100.

I didn't stress over completing them but I did work some additional hours.

A further focus this year will be grading and retraining/improving poor clients before ditching and replacing with better ones who fit more of our ideal. Additionally 70% clients should be on Xero by 1 April 2017. This should make 2017/18 better. Some may do some catch up for 2016/17 too.

We will ave a set structure and dates in place for chasing clients. February and March are to be used to get back on track. The aim is to have 80% of year ends done within 3 months of the year end date i.e. 80% of December year ends done by 31 March. Also 90% of year end work to be complete within 30 days of receipt.

The year ahead will all be about systemising the practice, utilising technology and improving the overall experience of clients and getting a client base whereby almost all clients fit our acceptable client policy i.e. no bad clients.
    Regards,

Burg
  • TreadStone
    At least you have a plan.
    burg said:

The year ahead will all be about systemising the practice, utilising technology and improving the overall experience of clients and getting a client base whereby almost all clients fit our acceptable client policy i.e. no bad clients.

Good luck with this last bit =)
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Final one went in at 3pm on the 31st, having worked til 10.30pm the previous day mind :s

I also have a cut-off and advise clients I can't guarantee it will be submitted on time after this date. Unfortunately my 'late' ones came late through no real fault of their own, more the fault of their previous accountant dragging their heels in handing over records.

Hoping this time will be smoother :)
  • burg

I really think it will work. We are going to note what makes a good client and then start communicating to those who fall short what they need to do to improve. If they can't improve they will be gone. The really poor clients distract from our overall goal and prevent the practice growing effectively. I'm not looking at any of those who leave as lost income but gained opportunity to serve clients better.
    Regards,

Burg
  • TreadStone
    burg said:

I really think it will work. We are going to note what makes a good client and then start communicating to those who fall short what they need to do to improve. If they can't improve they will be gone. The really poor clients distract from our overall goal and prevent the practice growing effectively. I'm not looking at any of those who leave as lost income but gained opportunity to serve clients better.
    I wish I worked for you !! B)
  • burg

I wish I worked for you !! B)

That is our idea. If we have loads of bad clients to work for then what is there to enjoy about coming to work???

If staff enjoy working for our clients because they are generally nice people, appreciate what we do and never leave things to close to the deadline without good reason then our staff will do their best to help them and service them in the best possible way.

It is a process that works well and we gain many clients. I stopped advertising at all back in July. Since then we have had 51 enquiries and gained 31. 11 are still prospects.

I'm a firm believer in that deliver the right product/service at the right price and people will come.
    Regards,

Burg
  • TreadStone
    I'm with you all the way on this. We share a similar view.
  • TreadStone
    mrme89 said:

Stop sucking up in the hope of a job offer ;)

Haha, distance would be my downfall =)
  • Neillaw
    Worst January ever for people leaving things to the last minute, now going to look down the back of the sofa for an old Prozac prescription!

That bloke in Treadstone's office is just like fat bloke Santa, does a couple of days work a year and sleeps the rest.

Problem as I see it Burg's nicked all the good clients which leaves us with the rest!
    (Burg - manage to get a run in over New Year.)
  • burg
    @Neillaw - I keep trying to nick all the good clients but still plenty out there to go!

Didn't get any races in but did Parkrun most Saturdays. Got one race next weekend a 6 mile muddy, hilly race. Might do a local fell race this weekend too if I get chance. How about you?
    Regards,

Burg
  • knightyo
    @Neillaw @burg Are you guys runners? I did the double park run at Brandon and Thetford on New Years Day and am going to watch at Brandon tomorrow (I've got a suspected stress fracture in my shin so can't run). Was down to do the Cambridge Half but not looking likely at the moment :( PS Sorry to butt in.
  • burg
    edited February 2017
    @knightyo Yes we both are and both particularly enjoy fell (mountain) running. I regularly do Parkrun and have done about 120 of them, mainly at my local one in Gloucestershire. Got a couple of halfs this year but it's mainly 6mile (ish) fell races for me.
    Sorry to hear about your injury - I attended a course from a good guy learning about such injuries a while back - the problem is most likely in your core btw.
    Regards,

Burg
  • Neillaw
    Did Auld Lang's on New Years eve, bloody freezing the Yorkshire moors don't give you any kind of shelter but did enjoy the two river crossings.
    Just what you want in Feb a nice muddy 6 miler, good warm up for fell race.
    Flower Scar in a couple of weeks, never done it so might just have a trot round.
    This year back to the marathon in October but may fit in a half ironman for charity in June (not sure yet!).
    (Now Jan's finished need to get some quality training in.)

knightyo - don't be sorry for butting in. Hope your back training shortly, don't make the mistake of coming back to quick.
  • knightyo
    @Neillaw @burg Thank you :) Just hoping its not a fracture. Wow, 120. I just got my 50 shirt so got a long way to go yet. Got an Inflatable 5k in April which should be funny, the Cambridge Half in March and the Great North Run in September which I do every year. You guys sound hardcore though! I do a bit of cross country with my running club but no fell running. Not up to that standard yet.
    If you're ever down this way, come and visit Wimpole Parkrun, its a great course.
Privacy Policy