Accountex

Allan
Allan Registered Posts: 25 Regular contributor ⭐
Has anyone attended before and got any advice as to whether it's worth it or not?

Considering going for many reasons:

Friend of mine is retiring and would like me to take on his clients/staff
Considering ditching Digita (like the look of Capium) and gives the opportunity to see alternatives
CPD alone
Not coming from a practice background, I know there's so much I could do better/more efficiently

Need to get my work-life balance sorted as once the kids started school, I started taking on clients again, then I got an assistant, now I'm in offices and potentially my business could be about to double...so it could help me massively, or be two days wasted.

Cheers,

Allan

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Allan,

I've not been before but considering going. We are a modern forward thinking firm and I want to look at technology that could take us that extra step.
    Regards,

Burg
  • Allan
    Hi Ian (pretty sure I have that right), you seem to have it all worked out already!

Read the forums for years and remember you along with the two Deans, Monsoon etc and think we started out a similar time.

Seems pretty quiet on here these days so did a bit of research on AWeb and seems little value in doing the two days, even if just for the CPD, its too much seems to be the general consensus.

I try to be forward thinking, I just don't get enough time to spend on that side of the business due to growth and staff, which I'm currently trying to sort.

With MTD on the horizon, Digita migration being a massive ballache and my friend retiring, I'm making it a priority now so it doesn't end up killing me in January 2018 or January 2019.

See there's a few on here using Capium including yourself, glad to see I'm not alone.

Might see you there if I make it.

Allan
  • burg
    Hi Allan,
    Yes I was on the old forums with the Deans, Monsoon, etc.

I started full time back in 2009. Certainly don't have it all worked out and I find thinking that we can always improve things means we can keep one step ahead (in theory anyway).

Staff can be difficult but once you get it right it works well. We are on our 6th round of recruiting next time and think we have learned so much from it even if 4 of those were not the most successful.

I'm very pleased with capium. It still has a few minor issues but they do seem to work on things and improve it all the time.

Good luck with taking over another practice. We almost did it once but it collapsed at the last minute. Hopefully the challenges are good and not troublesome and that it integrates well.

May well see you there
    Regards,

Burg
  • Allan
    edited February 2017
    Hi Ian,

I started May 2007, not that far apart, you certainly seem to have a better grip on things than I do at present.

I'm determined in 2017 to put it right though, I'm certainly going to ensure the same people that hold on to their tax return information (or estimates) until 31st January every year hand it to someone else.

Glad to hear you're happy with Capium, have been extremely frustrated with Digita recently, even the updates have become challenging.

Thank you, I'm in a fortunate position of not needing it or particularly wanting it so will only take it on terms that work for me.

Cheers,

Allan
  • TreadStone
    TreadStone Registered Posts: 280 Epic contributor 🐘
    edited February 2017
    Maybe someone should organise/arrange a Forum Meet ! =)
  • burg

Maybe someone should organise/arrange a Forum Meet ! =)

Sounds good. What day is everyone planning on going?
    Regards,

Burg
  • Allan
    Sure, I'll give you guys a shout if I make it.

Being a Geordie, you might need a translator mind...
  • TreadStone
    Allan said:

Sure, I'll give you guys a shout if I make it.

Being a Geordie, you might need a translator mind...

That's two of us then. Shall we wear the home or away strip ? =)=)
  • Allan
    Haha are you?

I refuse to wear anything with Wonga on it, but I do have the old classic silver away complete with blue star.
  • BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor 🐘
    Get a room you guys! :)
  • TreadStone
    Allan said:

With MTD on the horizon, Digita migration being a massive ballache and my friend retiring, I'm making it a priority now so it doesn't end up killing me in January 2018 or January 2019.

See there's a few on here using Capium including yourself, glad to see I'm not alone.

Allan

I've trialled the Capium Accounts Production, Corporation Tax & Practice Management modules and I like them all. I really need to get my teeth into the Bookkeeping module but that'll absorb more time.

Getting clients onto one type of software is one headache but getting current staff trained on it too is a double whammy in my book.
  • Allan
    Glad to hear more positives on Capium, going to trial it in March.

We've got clients ranging from nothing at all to cloud software and the problem is the same as rubbish in = rubbish out.

Coming from industry and being so fortunate to have the help of people with over 100 years experience has been brilliant, but so much wasted time due to not embracing technology and training the clients.

Have never used practice management and still not sure exactly how much it can benefit, at least I'm willing to give it a go.

Never been frightened of change and always looking to improve...for now!
Privacy Policy