Self teaching yourself, is it possible? Advice needed for beginner looking to get AAT qualified.

Options
UKBrad
UKBrad Registered Posts: 4
Hi,

I am currently self employed and have been for the past 4 years but am now looking for a change. I really want to get into an accountancy trainee program and have been trying to however most of them prefer to have someone with an AAT qualification or at least be working towards it.

I have been looking into it but there seems to be so much information to get through.

I understand I have to register with AAT which costs around £120, each exam costs £75 so wondered whether it was possible to teach yourself from books, if so could you recommend which book to train from.

I assume I need to go for the AQ2016 syllabus and am I right in thinking there are 5 exams?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Bertie
    Bertie Registered Posts: 376
    Options
    AQ2016 I have no experience of.

Can you self study through AAT?

Depends...

Answer this question:

How much do you want it?

I self studied AAT, ATT, and CIMA.

Qualified in all the above, MIP CIMA too.

Would I class myself as a genius? No

The only difference between me and someone who works in a factory is I know what I want.

If you want it, you'll get it.
  • Jdan95
    Jdan95 Registered Posts: 21
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hey,

I'm currently doing the AQ2016 self studying. I bought the books through the Kaplan Publishing website, got a notepad and pen and started making notes. When i'd completed the book I would use the resources available on MyAAT (mock exams, real life situations, green light tests etc). Anything I didn't understand I would ask on here - people are so helpful.

When I was confident I could pass the exam I checked Kaplan's website (they dont have much availability at short notice) or ring BPP and book an exam through them. You're correct about the exam fees and AAT membership fees. It's quite easy.

A lot of people have found working with a training provider can be difficult if you're working through the content quickly as they set specific dates for exams. For some though, the extra support is really helpful.

My honest opinion would be to buy the first Level 2 book (BKTR) and work through that. If you find you're struggling even after exhausting all your resources, then a study provider may be your best bet.

All the best of luck!

James

Btw, yes there are 5 exams. 1 of which you will need to use sage. You can get a trial version and use this and the associated text book. There's also the introduction of a Final Synoptic this year which is basically 1 exam featuring everything you've learnt in the level. You sit this last. Apart from the sage and synoptic exams, all the others give you a result immediately. Those 2 you have to wait 6 weeks.
  • rothers
    rothers Registered Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi James,

Sorry to jump in on this post but I wonder if you could answer a query that I have?

I'm currently working full time shifts so it means that I get quite a bit of time off and I would like to self study to qualify as a bookkeeper with a view to becoming self employed on a part time basis. I have a BSc Hons Degree in Maths and Education, is it necessary to do the Level 1 AAT in bookkeeping or could I jump straight in with Level 2?

Any help or advice on the best way forward will be gratefully received,

Cheers,

Tony
  • Jdan95
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi Tony,

I think it depends. It's different with everyone. I started at Level 2. I have quite a mathematical brain but you don't necessarily need to be mathematical to do the AAT. Really, you have to be able to learn concepts and functions and apply the data in front of you to those concepts.

Honestly, considering you already have a degree I don't see why you would need to start at Level 1. AAT do have a skills checker on their website that advises which level you should start at. In my opinion though if you've never dealt with T accounts and the Double Entry concept then you're best starting at Level 2. This will give you a good grounding for the rest of the levels, whereas Level 1 might not be challenging enough.

All the best!
  • rothers
    Options
    Hi James,

Thanks for your quick reply. I'll have a look at the skills checker and see what that says. I'll start at level 2 at the maximum as I've no previous experience in this field.

Thanks again,

Tony
  • rothers
    Options
    Hi James,

Sorry to bother you again. After doing the skills checker it states that I should start at Level 2. Which books are best for self studying for that level? I've read somewhere else on this forum that it is now possible to complete level 2 without a tutor, is that still correct?

Thanks for your help with this.

Tony
  • Jdan95
    Options
    Hi Tony,

Yes it's possible. I did it with the Kaplan books. You can order these online on the Kaplan Publishing website or buy second hand on eBay. Be careful though as the new syllabus is AQ2016 and a lot of the second hand books you'll find are AQ2013. Whilst there aren't many changes between the syllabus', it's always good to get a grounding based on up-to-date info.

There are other books such as the Osborne or BPP books. Both of which can be ordered through their own websites. Some people swear by a certain publisher (mine is Kaplan), but this is different for everyone.

Any other info you need please just let me know.

http://kaplan-publishing.kaplan.co.uk/aat-aq2016/Pages/default.aspx
  • rothers
    Options
    Thanks James, I really do appreciate your help. The Kaplan publishing site won't connect for me for some reason, will it for you? I've been looking at the Osborne books which also give you access to an ebook copy too, an addition to other learning aids. Do Kaplan do anything similar?

Tony
  • Jdan95
    Options
    Hi Tony,

No problem!

Well i've just bought more books through Kaplan and if you register beforehand, then buy the books, the e-copy, mock exams and progress tests are automatically added to your account. I've never purchased other books so can't really say for them.

That's odd, it was working for me. Maybe try googling 'kaplan publishing' and find AAT through their site?

James
Privacy Policy