I need a very professional/experienced answer.. "If you was me"

Options
Hi,

I have a serious question which will result in my decision to continue AAT or not.

I graduated in 2011 with a B.Sc. degree in Information Technology and i am currently studying AAT Level 2. I do not have any accounting/finance experience.

I started AAT level 2 in Feb 2017 and as of today i have completed both Bookkeeping Transactions and Controls with 95 and 96 percent pass rate.

Whilst applying for job roles i am met with the most common flaw put in place by agencies which is "2 years experience required" for entry level accounting roles.

Whilst applying for training/apprenticeship roles, i have been hit with "you are over qualified". I also had a Kaplan finance member confirm that because of my university degree, I am considered level 4 qualified meaning i cannot apply for apprenticeships, which is not stated on the Gov.co.uk website.

Now the only interviews i have had is with "top dog" companies (FTSE 100). Both PriceWaterhouseCooper and Compass group quickly offered me interviews for graduate roles and both companies acknowledged i have achieved a IT degree which they stated is very beneficial in today's economy. However i was kindly rejected as they had more suitable candidates who (which i discover by networking with a few during the interview day) were part qualified ACCA students.

Now if you was me

Would you continue to finish Level 2 and completely skip Level 3 & 4 and go straight into ACCA?

OR

Would you continue to complete Level 2, 3 and 4 whist continuing to find a related job role then eventually moving towards ACCA in the future.

Bare in mind i study via kaplan's long distance course (basically at home) and that i left my previous job so i could pursue my career goals.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Zoynal98
    Zoynal98 Registered Posts: 65
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hi Ricky,

I'd go with this option without a doubt: "Would you continue to complete Level 2, 3 and 4 whilst continuing to find a related job role then eventually moving towards ACCA in the future." Unless you can find a graduate position within a firm that provides ACA/ACCA/CIMA training.

As you lack Accounting/Finance knowledge (most of use were at some point), Level 2 is a good starting point. AAT gives you a good understanding of Accountancy as a whole, even if you are not working within an Accounting firm it will give you a pragmatic approach to things, i.e. real life situations.
  • Mike Webster
    Mike Webster Registered, Tutor Posts: 203 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    AAT is also a vocational qualification and so means its 'graduates' from Level 4 are far more work ready than many of their ACCA/CIMA counterparts.
    I had a Business Degree (which qualified me for nothing), couldn't get a graduate position (unless I moved to London which I was not doing) so went and did the old NVQ qualification. 10 years later, I'm a fully qualified lecturer, assessor and internal verifier. None of this would have been possible without my AAT qualification.
    Would I change what I did - yes, I would have gone to university earlier - but I would not have chosen to study anything other than AAT.
    I am proud to put AATQB and FMAAT after my name (along with BA (Hons) & PGCE) and would recommend the suite of qualifications to anyone. (In fact I do on a regular basis in my role as AAT Course Coordinator at my local college).
    Michael JH Webster AATQB FMAAT
  • JayB2606
    JayB2606 Registered Posts: 36 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    If I was In your predicament, I would review where I wanted to be in ten years and which route would best suit.

If you wanted to work for KPMG or PWC it would depend on which dept - If Audit then I would have skip and do ACCA, If Small Business Accountant then continue AAT and then ACCA.

I agree with Zonyna that AAT level 2 gives you a foundation, which is always a plus as I am finding more and more grads that are exempted from the earlier stages on any qual unable to grasp DRs and CRs.
    ACCA, FMAAT, Licenced Accountant and ACCA Practising Certificate
Privacy Policy