How paperless are you?

My aim over the past few years has been to create a paperless environment.

I appear to be using more paper now than ever!

Although gone are the days of printing every email and filing away, the server is now full of pdf emails mind.

Aside from tangible letters of engagements and yearly final accounts (or monthly if for management / banking purposes) how are you getting on? Assuming you are aiming to be paper free....

Comments

• Bertie
    Bertie Registered Posts: 376
    Hey,

Is your practice now predominantly cloud based too?

It's funny how time changes processes, I still remember being stretched over A3 paper evidencing even the most basic of tasks.

You can literally run a business from a phone app now.
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    We are probably 99% paperless too.
    Some bits that help
    Filechimp - set up rules and auto filing of emails is performed. They are saved as emails too so can be re-opened at any point and replied to.
    Cute PDF Pro - Use this to edit PDF's to remove unwanted pages and also to add signatures for final accounts.
    Adobe Sign - use this for digital signing of accounts and tax returns
    Datto Drive - Very similar to Dropbox. Use for storing all client 'folders' which contain accounts, working papers, tax work, payroll, VAT, Permanent and Correspondence.
    Master Document Excel File - This is an Excel file containing hyperlinks to regularly used documents to make being paperless easier. For example there are links to template emails such as for sending accounts to sign as well as links to other common documents that we may need or clients often request.
    Scanners - We have one high speed double sided scanner and then every user has a more basic feed scanner. Everyone contributes to scanning in documents. I use ScannerPro on my phone as I do very little scanning but this is usefull for when I do need it.
    Glide - Glide is practice management software but it helps with keeping less paper as you monitor all work there plus can set up to do lists.
    Multiple Monitors - A minimum of two monitors is a must. You can then have source data open on one screen and where you are entering it to on the other. A third or Fourth monitor adds more functionality but obviously takes up more space.

Apart from all this I do still produce paper.

I regularly have a Urgent to do list on my desk to ensure I don't miss any upcoming deadlines.
    All new client info is recorded on paper before being scanned in. This is mainly for ease as I make notes whilst discussing with clients and find it easier on paper.
    Regards,

Burg
  • Anna_01
    Anna_01 Registered Posts: 1
    I am not but From now i will try to be
  • Bertie
    Hey @burg,

That's a serious suite of software you have running.

How do your clients interact with such, any issues? Regular calls to youself, 'how do I sign with this?'

I imagine that going forward you more or less pick your clients who are tech savvy?
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    95%
    Only paper forms we use are for 64-8, sa1 self assessment registration, and fbi2 for online paye. This is just a one off when clients join. I know these things can be done online but my firm is very backwards.
    We also have to do various references for mortgages, etc on paper as well.
    I can't see the above changing until MTD kicks in.
  • burg
    Bertie said:

Hey @burg,

That's a serious suite of software you have running.

How do your clients interact with such, any issues? Regular calls to youself, 'how do I sign with this?'

I imagine that going forward you more or less pick your clients who are tech savvy?

We have videoed and instructions included for clients within emails. Plus we don't mind giving help that helps us in the future.

Most of our clients are tech savvy and we aim to attract those as they are our ideal client. We do however have paper backup options where it really does not work.
    Regards,

Burg
  • Bertie
    Hi @burg

With Adobe sign is it a requirement that the client needs a software licence too, or is this not necessary?

Thanks

• burg
    Bertie said:

Hi @burg

With Adobe sign is it a requirement that the client needs a software licence too, or is this not necessary?

Thanks

No license necessary - this is how they sign - http://adobe.ly/1RtsCuV
    Regards,

Burg
  • Bertie
    Thanks for the link.

I shall definitely be looking further into Adobe sign.
  • TreadStone
    TreadStone Registered Posts: 280 Epic contributor 🐘
    edited April 2017
    Bertie said:

Thanks for the link.

I shall definitely be looking further into Adobe sign.

Adobe Sign is pretty good and easy to use.

You might want to take a look at Iris Openspace too. It's free for Accountants (1gb) even if you're not an Iris user. It pretty much does the same thing but without the actual fake signature. Recipients simply click to acknowledge receipt and you get a confirmation.

Both seem really useful, even if I've initially only trilled them. Now I just need the boss to implement their use.....
  • Bertie
    Thank you for your response.

When I see Iris I'm usually thinking £££
Privacy Policy