MDCL Exam

Just sat the exam and feel very dispondant! Anyone else feeling this way?

Comments

• Karen2308
    Karen2308 Registered Posts: 4
    Despondent! Bloody phone
  • erykfrechowicz88
    erykfrechowicz88 Registered Posts: 7
    yeah it was horrible and they messed up whole exam
  • AC88
    AC88 Registered Posts: 44
    Seems to be a common theme that people found the MDCL hard to do, hence it being suspended earlier in the year.

It seems like most found it difficult but I'm sure you would have done a lot better than you think
  • Jon
    Jon Registered Posts: 8
    I sat mine today, it was so much different to the sample assessments. How long do you have to wait before you have to resit? I never fail AAT exams, looks like there's a first time for everything :(
  • GeorgiaH
    GeorgiaH Registered Posts: 107
    edited May 2017
    Comment removed

[A Contribution must not disclose any material from live assessments, AAT-produced or otherwise]
  • AC88
    @Jon - about the re-sit, I'd only book the re-sit if you failed, as it takes up to 6 weeks (usually 5 tbh) you might as well get on with the next one

@GeorgiaH - Which books do you use to study? Linear regression is basically just a way to manually draw a line graph, which tbh you will never do
  • GeorgiaH
    I have been using the BPP books but I have never seen this question in any mocks?

Do you know how to work this out please? @AC88
  • AC88
    edited April 2017
    @GeorgiaH - It's interesting as I use the osbourne books and they explain it in there.

Linear regression uses the formula y = mx + c (I assume it might be worded different as your formula is y = c + mx, same outcome tbf so I'll do the formula stated above)
    • Y is the forecast amount
    • M is the amount the data increases each year
    • X is the number of months from month 0
    • C is the starting figure
    in your equation the only bit of info you need to find is 'X', so January 20X3 being 0, March 20X5 will be 26 (number of months in between Jan 20X3 and March 20X5, so the formula you need is:
    • y = 780 + (4 x 26)
    • y = 780 + 104
    • y = 884
    • 884 x 106% = 937.04 (seasonal variation)
      </ul)

Does this make sense?

@AAT_Team - Is there some consistency issue here in what each book is teaching? Could this be why some students are struggling with the MDCL exam as some books omit things which are asked about in the exam?
  • GeorgiaH
    edited April 2017
    Ah well im happy to hear that @AC88 because thats exactly how i worked it out! my college teaches us using the Kaplan books but because I studied level 2&3 using BPP i find them easier to use. We have done similar questions but just not as difficult as that one.
    Thanks very much for your help. Out of curiosity have you passed decision and control? I didn't feel confident atall when i completed the exam yesterday.
  • AC88
    @GeorgiaH - That's good news then!!! hopefully gives you some peace of mind :-) Most important thing is to use books which suit you so think your doing the right thing!!!

I passed the MDCL earlier this year, was nerve racking as a week after I booked it AAT suspended the exam and was reading up on how hard it was, luckily passed first time so happy with that tbh, Studying FSLC now and sitting that exam at back of May then my synoptic (really worried about) in July :-)
  • GeorgiaH
    edited April 2017
    @AC88 - Yes i know now I have at least 4 marks for that question woohoo! haha :)
    Ah that's great passing first time especially with all the trouble every one is having with the exam, well done! I sat my FSLC beginning of March but only got 61% :( was gutted but my IAS's let me down! then i panicked because i couldn't get any of my statements to match at the end but good luck! Do you feel confident?
    I am dreading the synoptic too i sit that end of May
  • AC88
    @GeorgiaH how many exams have you sat? and what have you got left?
    I never get confident until about a week before the exam tbh, always the same and afterwards always feel like I failed, for MABU i was actually looking at dates to do the resit when I came out :-/ Passed anyway (more luck than anything)
    I do the exams backwards as the written ones (higher marks) are at the back so get them out the way first, I found that I focused too much time on the lower marked questions that I rushed the larger ones.
    The synoptic is the biggy anyway, don't you have to pass the first three exams before you can sit the synoptic though?
  • GeorgiaH
    @AC88 I have sat MABU (passed 1st time) i got 87% which was a BIG surprise, FSLC (got 61% so need a re-sit) and yesterday MDCL (probably will need to resit) Then I have Account systems & controls.
    My two optionals have been chosen by my college are credit management & cash & Treasury.
    Thats a good idea starting with the writing because you lose track of time a lot doing the exam. In yesterdays exam most of the mocks i completed for task 4 was the task i felt most confident so i clicked straight on Task 4 but had a totally different one :( gutted! haha. Dreading synoptic :(

How many exams have you sat? What are your optionals?
  • Jon
    I got 88% for my MABU and thought it would be around that, could have been more if I did better on the written questions (exceeded all others). I'll crack on with the next one (FSLC). Just frustrating that every question bar a couple were completely different to what i was used to. I'm using osbourne and I was fine with the linear regression question.
  • Jon
    My question was really similar to yours @GeorgiaH even the 106% was the same. Weird!
  • GeorgiaH
    Thats great well done Jon. Luckily i got it correct that one but i have never seen them that difficult before so it through me a bit. Along with ever other question being different from what we have practiced. Even some of the formats where different like using a different table for the variances etc. My cousin also had a similar question with 106% but different figures in the beginning of the equation
  • AC88
    @GeorgiaH - I've sat only my MABU and MDCL so far. FSLC is next then Synoptic, I have chosen my optionals yet, will look at the ones that give me exemptions.

How did you get your % score?
  • Yalda20
    Yalda20 Registered Posts: 77
    Hi All, I also sat my MDCL exam on the 25th of April and I found that exam was really hard. I have never failed any exams from Level 2 up until now but I have feeling that I have failed this one. I also got the same question on the liner regression but I couldn't manage to work it out. If you guys remember, what did you guys get for Q1? to be honest the only questions which I thought was easier were the written ones.
  • Yalda20
    Hi All, I also sat my MDCL exam on the 25th of April and I found that exam was really hard. I have never failed any exams from Level 2 up until now but I have feeling that I have failed this one. I also got the same question on the liner regression but I couldn't manage to work it out. If you guys remember, what did you guys get for Q1? to be honest the only questions which I thought was easier were the written ones.
  • Jon
    I got something about calculate the oar based on the average of labour hours against something else - not semi variable/ variable / stepped or fixed with a high low question at the bottom!
  • Karen2308
    Karen2308 Registered Posts: 4
    Yes I got got that. Was so hard. Couldn't work out the labour hours bit.
  • Yalda20
    I got the same question too, I couldn't work out the whole question was disappointed with myself :(
  • GeorgiaH
    @AC88 Oh good. We didn't have a choice in the optional's as our college picked them for us unfortunately. What do you mean about the percentage? on my exam results we are given a % now that it is the 2016 new spec but for 2013 standards I didn't get a %.
  • AC88
    @GeorgiaH my results don't show a %, does show that they are AQ2016 though :-/

Do you/ anyone else have the email for AAT Admin?
  • GeorgiaH
    @AC88 When you log in to AAT https://www.aat.org.uk/login?destination=/training/study-support/search then click MyAAT, Your assessment results then they all should come up? Is this not the same for you? I think you get a pass 70-79%, Merit 80-89% and distinction 90-100% then once completed the whole of level 4 you get an average score. Synoptic makes up 1/3 of your over all score.

I dont have their email sorry
  • AC88
    @GeorgiaH Yer, that's where I go :-/

Is odd, I'll find the email somewhere
  • GeorgiaH
    Yep that is strange @AC88 especially if you are doing 2016 tests
  • AC88
    @GeorgiaH Found now, thanks for the help!!!

72% on MABU (I didn't really expect high as didn't prepare and didn't realise how much emphasis they put on the written part)
    88% on MDCL - But still showing as 'competent' :-1:
  • GeorgiaH
    @AC88 Ah great your welcome. Did you have to contact AAT or did you find it on your account login?

Wow 88% on MDCL is great isn't it considering it was a hard test. So you would have got a merit for that one and a pass on MABU.
  • AC88
    @GeorgiaH Used your link and think I was just going to the wrong place tbh. And MDCL is the one I proper crammed in and did the exam backwards to do the written ones first, obviously worked :+1:
Privacy Policy