How can course providers vary so wildly in price?

I am looking at a career change and considering doing AAT level 2 bookkeeping or maybe the full AAT level 2 certificate in accounting. I have looked at a few training providers, and spoken to them, but am struggling to understand how the course fees can vary so widely. For bookkeeping, Premier is £299, Avado (Home Learning College) is £895. For the full accounting course, it's £699 vs £1450. They both offer tutor support, online resources. Does anyone know what the extra £600-£750 might get me?! When I asked, the Avado advisor talked generally about the quality of support, but no real specifics that convinced me. Maybe this is the first test on entering the world of finances...?!

Comments

• Bertie
    Bertie Registered Posts: 376
    There is no need for a provider at level 2.

Buy the books, book the exams - job done.

• sarah0906
    sarah0906 Registered Posts: 11
    I have also noticed this while looking for a provider for the combined level 2 & 3. Also struggling to find one that offers 24+ loan. Starting to get deflated.
  • Bertie
    Bertie Registered Posts: 376
    Bertie said:

Trust me, there is no need for a provider at level 2.

A training provider is a false economy. Of course you will be told you need one. But you don't.

At level 2 you'll cover the basics. Read the books well, answer plenty of past question and use the internet and forums like this for further understanding.

If you have to search for answers it will give you a better understanding of how business, finance, tax and the economy interact.

If you pay almost £1,000 per level you'll kick yourself.

When I completed level 3, granted it was a while back now, exams were not included in the price of a level. Has this changed?

Do the maths -

Pay a provider.
    Pay to register with the AAT.
    Sit six exams.

Expensive.

Just buy the books and arrange the exams yourself.

Think about a provider at level 4 - Chartered level.

Choice is yours.

• sarah0906
    I'm not sure, surely doing it this way you could miss out some important information. Take the exam and then fail so would just end up wasting your money.
  • Cheesypeesy
    Cheesypeesy Registered Posts: 101
    Bertie said:

Agreed, level 2 is pretty straightforward. There's plenty of guidance online to clear up any loose ends. Out of curiosity, how does one practice for the 'Using Accounting Software' portion of the level when studying alone/distance learning? Back when it in level 3 at my old training provider we practised on Sage on their laptops.
    Matthew Dearlove MAAT
    Currently on CIMA Management Level. Passed P2, F2 and E2. Preparing for November 19 MCS.
  • philreddy1985
    philreddy1985 Registered Posts: 23
    edited May 2017
    Unless you're attending a college environment, i.e. sitting in a classroom receiving tuition, then paying a provider is pretty pointless. Your best bet is to purchase the study materials, study at home at your own pace and then book your exams.

Most online providers just act as middle men, they will send you the study materials in a pack up, provide you with their own practice assessments once you advise them that you have finished a module and then they will tell you to book your exam yourself when you feel competent enough.

I know it may seem like a huge leap at first going it alone but it is more than manageable. I have completed Level 2 and I am more than halfway through Level 3 studying in this way, I had no previous accounts/finance experience before I started and I have not experienced any major difficulties.
  • sarah0906
    Thanks for your information. I have looked into abit more and taken the plunge to go at it alone. I have bought the books today and will be delivered early next week. Can't wait to start now!
  • philreddy1985
    philreddy1985 Registered Posts: 23
    Good luck :) if you get stuck you can always come on here to ask for advice, I have done it a few times.
  • sarah0906
    Thank you and I'm sure I will!
Privacy Policy