Benefit of AAT

mergen
mergen Registered Posts: 112 New contributor 🐸
Hi everyone,

Thought I would ask here. Recently started Level 4, having finished 2 & 3 and work as Assistant Accountant. So far I haven't had to apply anything that I've learned and studied in L2,3 and 4.
Has anyone else had the same experience, everything that I have learned it's either done completely differently in practice or not done at all.

I guess L2 does give grounding of where/how Dr and Cr work/applied, but L3 and so far L4 no relevance at all.

Just as an example at work I deal with, Fixed Assets, Costings, Prepayments, Accruals and etc

Thanks

Comments

• Bertie
    Bertie Registered Posts: 376

Just as an example at work I deal with, Fixed Assets, Costings, Prepayments, Accruals and etc

Thanks

You haven't applied any of your knowledge gained from studying AAT?

I find that hard to believe.

To answer your question - I've always used my AAT knowledge, granted some areas require a more detailed knowledge of what AAT touches on the surface.

How long have you been there? Maybe time for a change of employment?
  • mergen
    > @Bertie said:
    > Just as an example at work I deal with, Fixed Assets, Costings, Prepayments, Accruals and etc
    >
    >
    >
    > Thanks You haven't applied any of your knowledge gained from studying AAT?
    >
    > I find that hard to believe.
    >
    > To answer your question - I've always used my AAT knowledge, granted some areas require a more detailed knowledge of what AAT touches on the surface.
    >
    > How long have you been there? Maybe time for a change of employment?

Thanks for your reply. The only knowledge that I have applied is Dr, Cr and depreciation of assets, everything else I feel like it has been a waste of time studying.
    Not sure why a change of employment would help. In my previous role as a finance/accounts assistant while helping out management accounts team, again I did not have to apply any of my knowledge. Colleagues have mentioned the same thing as well and in the current place.

Examples: MABU - majority of companies never use flexed budgets, as they see it unnecessary. MDCL - cost variances, in practice they are worked out completely differently and much easier. Prepayments and Accruals - I never had to apply the 'PAPA' rule.
  • Zoynal98
    Zoynal98 Registered Posts: 65
    Have you done Level 4 Financial Statements? I think a lot you learn from this module can be implemented.
  • Bertie
    I'm not sure why my post did not show your quote properly, maybe I deleted one too many BR tags -

Anyway.

If you're performing accruals and prepayments how are you doing them if it is not how you were taught from level 3?

As an assistant, a real one not one who is classed as one but has to perform processes of a seasoned pro - you will only be doing the basics.

• mergen
    Zoynal98 said:

Have you done Level 4 Financial Statements? I think a lot you learn from this module can be implemented.

Not yet, just waiting for the new timetable to come out.
  • mergen
    Bertie said:

I'm not sure why my post did not show your quote properly, maybe I deleted one too many BR tags -

Anyway.

If you're performing accruals and prepayments how are you doing them if it is not how you were taught from level 3?

As an assistant, a real one not one who is classed as one but has to perform processes of a seasoned pro - you will only be doing the basics.

I thought that as well, oh well.

Think I am answering my own question, as I am typing lol. Think it all depends in which industry we work at.

Accruals and prepayments - Dr Prep and Cr Rent, then release it over 3 months by doing the opposite. Dr Phone and Cr Accrual. Those are just examples (not from work).

I think you are right in that, it depends what level/position I hold. The further I progress the more in depth knowledge and understanding I will get.

One thing I will point is that AAT should implement more of excel into their syllabuses and more real life scenarios.
  • Bertie
    There are Excel resources found within the myAAT portal.

The trouble with Excel, in a positive way, is that it is a huge piece of kit. To try to cover every element would be an entire level, never mind a unit.

Search around for Excel for business, or Excel for finance and such.

What packages are you using at work? What is it you are using Excel for?
Privacy Policy