Over 50 and just lost job

geek84
geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi Folks

I hope you're all well. A friend of mine who is just over 50 years of age lost his job last month. He was working in an accounts department as a credit controller. He has about 15 years' experience of the job and has always done office work, - administration & credit control. He is now very upset and doesn't know what to do next, and wondering if anyone would employ him at his age.

He is now looking for other opportunities and needs to find a job/career that brings in a good wage which would cover his usually household bills and mortgage payments. He also has 2 young children attending secondary school.

Can someone be kind enough to advice the best course of action to take and whether he should keep in the same field of work (accounts) or retrain for something else?

Thank You.

Comments

• Bertie
    Bertie Registered Posts: 376
    With 15 years experience and an immediate need to bring home the bacon I'd say the answer is to stick to accounts.
  • Tess1
    Tess1 Registered Posts: 4
    Can you move into accounts from a different industry after the age of 50? Has anyone done I in here who is willing to share their experience?
  • Bertie
    Bertie Registered Posts: 376
    You can yes. Not being over 50 means I can not directly answer the question. But I know of many a mature student who has entered the profession.

Solid CV and don't give in.
  • Neillaw
    Neillaw Registered Posts: 307 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    edited June 2017
    Has he tried contract working, I know it's not ideal as a long term solution but I'm sure he's thinking of the short term.
    Even though I'm not quite 50 I did set up my own practice last year and managed to get most of my jobs done in the first 3 months. This made me take up a 3 mth contract role in Oct and I'm still here.
    Contract working isn't for everyone but they do tend to lead to perm positions and it looks like he has the right skill set.
  • kbprotocol
    kbprotocol Registered Posts: 9
    Has he ever considered moving into teaching?

Some further education providers are happy to sponsor those from industry to do their teaching qualifications while they work. AAT is a high need subject all over the country.

Passing on his knowledge and expertise to the next generation of accountants could be a great option!
  • mcchoc
    mcchoc Registered, Tutor Posts: 59 Regular contributor ⭐
    I didn't even start AAT until I was almost 50 - too busy in the music and motor racing industries. Working for free for 4 weeks got me a foot in the door for a post with local government. When their budgets were sliced around 2012, I did my CTLLS and now teach AAT content. And I'm afraid i'm well past 50 . . .
  • geek84
    Hi Folks

Thanks very much for you replies.

He wants to stay in accountancy and has registered with a few recruitment agencies for work. but is also looking at teaching AAT. However, the colleges nearby only offer part time hours (less than 15 hours per week), and also require previous AAT teaching experience.

He is now looking into teaching voluntarily to get the experience but the part time hours is putting him off. Ideally, he needs full time employment.
  • Casu
    Casu Registered, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 102
    Go self employed?
  • Casu
    Casu Registered, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 102

Has he ever considered moving into teaching?

Some further education providers are happy to sponsor those from industry to do their teaching qualifications while they work. AAT is a high need subject all over the country.

Passing on his knowledge and expertise to the next generation of accountants could be a great option!

Saw your job ad - £22ph! Funny as! I wouldnt get out of bed for that!
  • geek84
    Hi Folks

Thanks very much for you replies.

He wants to stay in accountancy and has registered with a few recruitment agencies for work. but is also looking at teaching AAT. However, the colleges nearby only offer part time hours (less than 15 hours per week), and also require previous AAT teaching experience.

He is now looking into teaching voluntarily to get the experience but the part time hours is putting him off. Ideally, he needs full time employment.
Privacy Policy