Job Advertisments

Steeleyg94
Steeleyg94 Registered Posts: 5
Has anyone else experienced the total disregard of the hard work they've done to obtain AAT qualifications when applying for jobs?

Won't even consider your application as you're not ACCA/CIMA/ACA qualified.

I haven't seen any job adverts asking purely for AAT qualifications.

Comments

• Adele69
    Adele69 Registered Posts: 320
    edited May 2017
    http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/13676/

Closing date today, though I was at the beer festival :)
    Might have been tempted if it wasnt fixed term. Doesnt mean they wont extend after the period is up, at least from what I've heard within some University depts
  • Bertie
    Bertie Registered Posts: 376
    Every new starter looks in the wrong places.

• Bertie
    Folk don't like the truth.

It's ok, I'm not offended easily - fortunately.
  • JayB2606
    JayB2606 Registered Posts: 36 Regular contributor ⭐
    Depends on what job you are going for? most adverts on reed do say ACCA/CIMA/ACA qualified/part qualified, but some will say QBE.

Have you had a look at starting ACCA/ACA/CIMA? I my self am ACCA and notice it opens so many more doors
    ACCA, FMAAT, Licenced Accountant and ACCA Practising Certificate
  • Adele69
    Adele69 Registered Posts: 320
    In local government I've seen jobs advertised below ACCA level (most of my more senior colleagues started with AAT) but it depends on the job, mostly Senior Accounting Technician or Assistant Accountant level, but I have also worked with people who made it to Senior Accountant without chartered status. Guess it wouldn't happen in practice, though I just searched and first one I looked at had.... AAT requirement (I kid you not) :)

While I'm here, another image test

• SC1234
    SC1234 Registered Posts: 19
    I am having the same problem. I was told AAT would open so many doors but I am struggling to find a job that wants someone with AAT. And my tutor also said once you've done level 4 you can earn more money, but the jobs ive seen in accounts are either the same or lower??
  • fidgetspinner
    fidgetspinner Registered Posts: 2
    Bertie said:

Every new starter looks in the wrong places.

Well, would you recommend where to start looking?
  • Bertie
    Yes.

Where do you work at the moment?
    Look there first.

If you work in an industrial setting, ie; warehouse or factory, work on getting moved to the office.

Should you work in, or similar to the above, and your company has its finance function set in a HQ elsewhere, move to a factory or warehouse that has a finance function within.

Become accustomed to those who work in the finance function at your place of work.

Book a fortnight off work and ask to spend the two weeks in the office (on a voluntary basis).

Be prepared to sacrifice something.

Ensure you are confident in asking, if you've a good record and reputation at work you're almost there already.

Look under your nose.
  • CSan89
    CSan89 Registered Posts: 207
    I have to agree with @Bertie.
    When I was looking to start my accountancy career, I used my Holiday entitlement from the supermarket I worked at to do work experience for a local accountant. I also went to the local AAT events to network with people.

I then got an interview with another small accountancy practice and manged to get my break in the career i want to do. I have to travel 2 hours a day to and from work which means that due to fuel my disposable income has gone down but it is likely that I will now be completing the AAT-ACA Fast track and hopefully be Chartered in the next 2-3 years.

The best way to look for jobs is to go into accountancy practices and ask. Agencies, I find are pointless.

Sometimes you need to look at the bigger picture rather than wanting to be paid £20000 from day one.
    AAT Level 2&3 - 2016
    AAT Level 4 - 2017
    Personal Tax, Business Tax and External Auditing

ACA/CTA -
    Certificate Level - Jan 2019
Privacy Policy