Level 4 AAT vs straight into CIMA - help

Cd83
Cd83 Registered Posts: 32
I am debating wether to continue with level 4 AAT or going straight into CIMA

If I am looking to go onto CIMA anyway is there any real benefit in choosing level 4 over CIMA?

Comments

• Irrorate
    Irrorate Registered Posts: 139
    If you've already started L4 you may as well complete it - by completing L4 you get exemptions from the CIMA certificate level and jump straight on to Professional at the Operational level. Starting CIMA at L3 AAT won't give you any benefit.
  • Cd83
    No I haven't started level 4 yet I have only just passed my level 3 synoptic.

I just wondered if the 18 month level 4 AAT saved me time and money against going straight into CIMA now?

Thanks
  • CSan89
    CSan89 Registered Posts: 207
    It is possible to do AAT Level 4 in 9 months. Also you will get exemptions for CIMA as well as MAAT status whilst studying for CIMA
    AAT Level 2&3 - 2016
    AAT Level 4 - 2017
    Personal Tax, Business Tax and External Auditing

ACA/CTA -
    Certificate Level - Jan 2019
  • Irrorate
    The money you save from doing AAT L4 you'll probably spend doing CIMA certificate (which is also 12-18 months) so I guess it's entirely up to you at this point.

My only dissuasion from AAT L4 would be that this AQ2016 syllabus has been badly received by student (myself included) where CIMA may be more bedded in and structured.
  • Cd83
    I will be doing AAT level 4 on the evenings and the study centre near me states it is an 18 month course.

I'm just having a wobble on the back of the level 3 synoptic fiasco. I just about came through the exam with a pass.

In respect of th CIMA exemptions, what papers does it exempt you from and how much time roughly would it save if any?

Thanks
  • Irrorate
    @Cd83 see my post above - the whole certificate level which takes 12-18 months so time wise not much saving I'm afraid.
  • Cd83
    So it's 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other then really?

Thank you for the help
  • Irrorate
    To be honest yes it is. Perhaps your benefit would be in the number of exams? AAT L4 is 6 exams, CIMA is 4 I believe.

It's just a research exercise for you at this point to weigh up the pros and cons.
  • Cd83
    I'm going to speak to a few companies offering the course and take my time before making my decision.

I really enjoyed the AAT until the synoptic so I don't necessarily want to give up on the organisation for one bad exam.

Thanks
Privacy Policy