VAT on purchase and sale of ex-lease car?

Options
Davina W
Davina W Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
Hi
This is my first post on here so I apologise if its in the wrong place - I have moved this from the level 4 discussion board. I have very recently completed level 4 but haven't finished my application for MAAT yet so could only find an option to post as a student.

I would be grateful if someone could someone help me to determine the correct treatment of a purchase and sale of an ex-lease car please?

I work for a vehicle hire company, we lease in vehicles which are then hired out to customers. A car that has been out on long term hire was returned damaged by our customer and therefore the rental company that we leased it from will not take it back - we have to purchase it then resell it. The rental company have sent us an invoice for the vehicle which shows VAT at 20% and we also have a potential buyer. My manager feel sure that because the car was leased to us that we will not be able to re-claim the VAT on the purchase and that we should not charge VAT on the sale either. I've looked at the "Margin Scheme" on the HMRC website but I think this is optional. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Davina W
    Options
    Hi
    I have now resolved this issue. Thank you to everyone that viewed my question.
  • mergen
    mergen Registered Posts: 112 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    @Davina W do tell us what the resolution is? :)
  • Davina W
    Options
    In the end it was very simple! As our supplier has charged VAT on the invoice we can reclaim this, but we must pay VAT to HMRC on the sale :-)
Privacy Policy