What next?

Options
Hi all.
I completed my level 4 AAT back in 2008 and took some time out to raise my family. I have been employed for the last 4 years within a small accountancy practice and am looking to move on due to lack of resources in order to further my knowledge. I have been looking possibly to study CIMA, ACCA, IFA or ACA with the hope of completing an accounting qualification. I started and gave up CIMA last year realising that A it was not the right course for me and B working, home life, 3 children, a husband and a dog to look after was just not going to happen!! Big sigh! However, if I find the right job (i.e. 4days a week) I hope to start again. But what I would like some advice on is what qualification to go for. I do enjoy working in practice with SME's and thought the IFA would be the way to go, but I have read this is not really a step up from the AAT at all. Should I even bother studying again and just find the right employer who will give me plenty of experience and complete as much of the AAT CPD learning as I can?
I am at a bit of a cross roads so any help and guidance would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Clintm15
    Clintm15 Registered Posts: 248 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I would recommend ACCA to anyone. The primary reason is that they have a degree option and for no extra cost you can obtain a Bachelors after completing the foundation level, you just need to submit a research project. The cheapest way to a degree that I can think of.
    AAT
    Level 2 - 2011
    Level 3 - 2012
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA
    F4 - Corporate Law - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F5 - Performance Management - Dec 2014 (passed)
    F6 - Taxation - Dec 2013 (passed)
    F7 - Financial Reporting - Jun 2014 (passed)
    F8 - Audit & Assurance - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F9 - Financial Management - Jun 2015 (passed)
  • LouboutinLou1
    LouboutinLou1 Registered Posts: 27 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi,

I am thinking of starting ACCA in the new year. If you don't mind me asking how much has it cost you to date including books and exams? As you stated above no other accountancy qualification allows you to gain a degree at the end of it.

I have read that it is a huge step up from AAT? Would you agree?

What paper would you recommend me starting first? Easiest first please ha ha

Many thaks
  • Clintm15
    Clintm15 Registered Posts: 248 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I purchase e-books from BPP at £20 each and the exams were around £90 each.

So at a rough estimate, 6 x £110 = £660 (+ whatever the registration fee was) so far.

It is definitely a substantial step up from AAT, mainly in terms of volume of information.

First exam is difficult to call. Most people would suggest Corporate Law as it's a purely multiple choice exam without any calculations. I opted for Tax to begin with as I chose personal and business tax at AAT and it turned out to be a very good choice for me.
    AAT
    Level 2 - 2011
    Level 3 - 2012
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA
    F4 - Corporate Law - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F5 - Performance Management - Dec 2014 (passed)
    F6 - Taxation - Dec 2013 (passed)
    F7 - Financial Reporting - Jun 2014 (passed)
    F8 - Audit & Assurance - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F9 - Financial Management - Jun 2015 (passed)
  • LouboutinLou1
    LouboutinLou1 Registered Posts: 27 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thank you for the information :)
Privacy Policy