Careers with Level 2 Bookkeeping

kontisto
kontisto Registered Posts: 15
I'm currently studying Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Bookkeeping and was wondering when I finish, how easy will it for me to get a job? What sort of jobs can I apply for and what kind of pay am I to expect?

I can't afford level 3 so I'm going to try and self study and save so I can enrol in September. I'm also sick of working in retail and would like a change, even if the pay is terrible.

I'm in my early 20's and highly computer literate (I've built them and am a hobbyist programmer, not relevant but just saying) and willing to put in extra hours. Never worked in an allied field but Maths is my best GCSE subject.

Thanks.

Comments

• KoopaCooper
    KoopaCooper Registered Posts: 224
    @Kontisto - speaking with experience here.

Like you, Maths was my best subject too (I got my degree in it from King's in 2003), but then ended up working in dead-end high street retail (kinda...I worked for William Hill for 3 years). The pay was bad, the hours were worse, and the aggressive punters were terrible. Eventually I got sick of it (literally, my GP signed me off with depression) and quit.

Worst move I ever made. Seriously.

I didn't have a plan, and worse, I didn't have another job lined up. I spent 8 years unemployed.

I cannot stress enough - IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANOTHER JOB LINED UP, DO NOT QUIT. It will almost certainly come back to bite you if you do.

If you can't afford to pay for level 3, you may be able to get support from the DWP (may...but don't bank on it), or you could take out a student loan (I would honestly advise this method), which needn't be paid back until you are earning more than the threshold (currently £21,000).

So yeah, I'd suggest applying for a student loan and starting level 3 as soon as you can, not wait 'til next September. Employers didn't even start taking my accounting-related job applications seriously until I had about half of level 3 on my CV. (and I didn't get a job until after finishing level 3).

Best of luck!
    Accounts Executive, ғɪᴀʙ ᴍᴀᴀᴛ
    QBO & Xero certified advisor

AAT
    Level 2 Certificate in Accounting - 17 Jun 2015
    Level 3 Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jan 2016
    Level 4 Diploma in Accounting - 19 Dec 2017
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
    Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business...
    F4 Corporate and Business Law - 4 Jun 2019
    F5 Performance Management - 15 July 2019
    F6 Taxation (United Kingdom) - 3 Dec 2019
    F8 Audit and Assurance - 2 Mar 2020
  • kontisto
    kontisto Registered Posts: 15

@Kontisto - speaking with experience here.

Like you, Maths was my best subject too (I got my degree in it from King's in 2003), but then ended up working in dead-end high street retail (kinda...I worked for William Hill for 3 years). The pay was bad, the hours were worse, and the aggressive punters were terrible. Eventually I got sick of it (literally, my GP signed me off with depression) and quit.

Worst move I ever made. Seriously.

I didn't have a plan, and worse, I didn't have another job lined up. I spent 8 years unemployed.

I cannot stress enough - IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANOTHER JOB LINED UP, DO NOT QUIT. It will almost certainly come back to bite you if you do.

If you can't afford to pay for level 3, you may be able to get support from the DWP (may...but don't bank on it), or you could take out a student loan (I would honestly advise this method), which needn't be paid back until you are earning more than the threshold (currently £21,000).

So yeah, I'd suggest applying for a student loan and starting level 3 as soon as you can, not wait 'til next September. Employers didn't even start taking my accounting-related job applications seriously until I had about half of level 3 on my CV. (and I didn't get a job until after finishing level 3).

Best of luck!

Thanks for replying.
    I've been unemployed for the last 2 years mostly due to anxiety. I've been applying for months mostly for retail jobs as there's nothing else I have experience in and I started a Christmas temp job recently but had to give it up due to anxiety and studying.

Can one get a job at all with the level 2?
  • Pip
    Pip Registered Posts: 1
    kontisto said:

I'm currently studying Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Bookkeeping and was wondering when I finish, how easy will it for me to get a job? What sort of jobs can I apply for and what kind of pay am I to expect?

I can't afford level 3 so I'm going to try and self study and save so I can enrol in September. I'm also sick of working in retail and would like a change, even if the pay is terrible.

I'm in my early 20's and highly computer literate (I've built them and am a hobbyist programmer, not relevant but just saying) and willing to put in extra hours. Never worked in an allied field but Maths is my best GCSE subject.

Thanks.

I live in the West Midlands and there are lots of jobs working in accounts/bookkeeping and the salary range would be around £/14/15/16k for a junior entrant. My tutor told me recently that there's quite a number of jobs available for credit controllers. Most jobs require experience though. Charitable organisations sometimes ask for volunteers to help them with basic accounts so this is something you could look out for to give you some experience. Or maybe join an agency that offers placements in accounting roles so you get some experience that way, however basic the tasks you are given might be. As the previous post advised, a student loan is available for accounting at level 3. Self-study is hard work - I would prefer to be in a class environment with the support of other students. Like you I'm completing the Level 2 in Accounting but I've found jobs are limited if you have no experience. My current job is in admin with some basic accounting tasks, so you could widen your search to include admin jobs if you are interested, as you are computer literate and have previous work experience with transferable skills.
Privacy Policy