renting commercial premises out to own business

Options
A client of mine has brought the premises to there shop out right personally. They want to charge rent to the business which is a limited company. How can I figure out how much rent they should be charging there Ltd company? Also baring in mind they are not making a lot of money at the moment but we can put it in a directors pot for when the business can afford to pay it.

Comments

• MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Options
    You would need to run some calculations as to what is the most tax efficient.
    The owner can charge rent and this will be deductible for CT purposes at 19%.
    However the owner needs to declare the rent as income so will be taxed at 20/40/45 %
    He/ she can charge a market rate however this will deny ER on disposal of the asset (associated disposal). If charging less than MV a proportional amount of ER relief could be available.
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Given that Entrepreneur's Relief (10% capital gains tax rate) is potentially available on disposal it may not be worth charging any rent, especially if the value of the commercial property will increase significantly.

Although worth noting that ER could potentially not be available by the time your client wants to dispose of the property- the government could get rid of it at the stroke of a pen if it felt that it was losing too much in tax.
  • maciej2017
    maciej2017 Registered Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello AAT community! I have been receiving queries regarding income tax on profits from investing in cryptocurrencies, e.g. Bitcoin. Do you know if there are any up-to-date tax regulations regarding paying tax on such investments? Or perhaps you already have some clients whose trading activity is investing people's funds in cryptocurrencies. What advice have you given them? Thank you!
  • AndreaMc
    AndreaMc Registered Posts: 21
    Options
    Thank you for all of the comments, I'm looking into the best way based on your help.
Privacy Policy