Has anyone asked to look at the actual exam script

First time I took L3 synoptic assessment was in July 2017. Had many technical issues, couldn't complete the exam and got 58%. Did not get any help from my training provider either. Second time I took the exam on November last year. I completed the exam and I felt I did miles better than the first one. Got 67%. I lost motivation to resit because I have no idea how I lost so much mark. I heard so many students passed even though they didn't complete the exam. I think it depends on who is marking our exam. To fail people who are so close to the pass mark is also very unfair. Has anyone requested to see the actual exam script to see how and why you were failed. I think feedback you get from training provider is pointless. I believe as students we have legal rights to see our scripts

Comments

• CSan89
    CSan89 Registered Posts: 207
    You can get a review of your exam (see the link below) however there is a cost.
    The reason that people may be able to pass without finishing the exam is due to how marks are allocated per question. If you answer the higher value questions but leave the single mark ones, there is a high chance you will pass.

The link for appeals section. https://aat.org.uk/assessment/enquiries-and-appeals
    AAT Level 2&3 - 2016
    AAT Level 4 - 2017
    Personal Tax, Business Tax and External Auditing

ACA/CTA -
    Certificate Level - Jan 2019
  • hal978
    hal978 Registered Posts: 197 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    You can't look at your exam script as it is exempt from disclosure under the Data Protection Act, but you can request everything else about you
  • Mike Webster
    Mike Webster Registered, Tutor Posts: 203 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    edited January 2018
    Training provider feedback for assessments is exactly the same as you can get on your MyAAT pages. This is the only feedback we, as training providers, get - what else can we tell you? A result of "Borderline" or "Did not meet requirements"/"Significantly below" should indicate that you have either not been able to demonstrate competence by getting tasks incorrect or your understanding of the questions may not be quite on target.
    I would suggest that you spend some time reviewing practice assessments in text books (Kaplan, Osborne Books or BPP) to get a 'feel' for the type of questions being asked. I have seen material from one distance learning training provider (First Intuition) that walks you through a mock assessment - maybe you could purchase the materials?
    Sadly, the feedback issue is ongoing and has been an issue for many tutors since the introduction of online testing in 2010. Appeals can be lodged but I believe you only have 20 working days from the date of receiving the result. Remember, whilst you have completed an assessment, questions remain live after your assessment and, therefore, allowing you to review your script affects the integrity of the whole assessment system.
    Good luck.
    Michael JH Webster AATQB FMAAT
  • Multiplicator
    Multiplicator Registered Posts: 116
    // allowing you to review your script affects the integrity of the whole assessment system.//

thanks for the trouble in replying Mike - you are one of the few - most of the other tutors have not got around to questioning why they are teaching a course where there is at best a 35% pass rate.

Most of the disgruntled out of pocket students here are sure that the AAT assessment system has no integrity at all.

Have you seen the latest AAT advert on the internet ?
    "Good bye job..."

how true - how true !

Oliver Dearlove as Multiplicator
  • Tamara89
    Tamara89 Registered Posts: 8
    I appealed my exam on 2nd attempt I got 69% I was so disappointed as I know i did a lot better than the first exam I got 58% now I have to re sit in February 3rd time lucky I guess! I’ve been told they are changing the synoptic and removing indirect tax . The annoying thing is that was the section that let me down !!
  • JF00025
    JF00025 Registered Posts: 14
    Tamara89 how do you know they are removing indirect tax, if you don't mind me asking. I started to revise, the mock assessment still contains questions on indirect tax. I got below requirement in that section too !!!
  • CSan89
    CSan89 Registered Posts: 207
    I have seen a statement about AAT changing the MDCL exam (lvl 4 - management accounting decision and control) but not seen (or can find) any info that they are changing the Synoptics. I would find it strange if they got rid of indirect tax as it is a subject that is quite important.
    AAT Level 2&3 - 2016
    AAT Level 4 - 2017
    Personal Tax, Business Tax and External Auditing

ACA/CTA -
    Certificate Level - Jan 2019
  • Tamara89
    I have not found a statement either, I was told by my tutor. I thought it was strange too to get rid of. The sample synoptic assessment has not changed either .. nevermind! :) I have attached what the feedback looks like when appealing.
  • Tamara89

above is the feedback for 69% and ive attached the feedback i got for 55%
    comparing results from feedback mine goes from one extreme to the next I dread think what the next one will be like!
    55%.jpg 57.1K
  • Tamara89

• JF00025
    > @Tamara89 said
    Just wanted to double check is it from AAT website? I personally think they should update the mock exam to reflect what we can expect in the exam. Especially because it's a vast syllabus and anything can be asked. I really hope we all pass in February. This synoptic assessment has turned into a nightmare. Thank you for sharing this information though. Good luck
  • Tamara89
    i have just been browsing the aat website and read through the specification, I have posted screenshots on there Facebook page to ask when they are going to update the assessments to reflect update. I also read it is 2hours 45mins and only 2 speadsheets?!?!
  • JF00025
    > @Tamara89 said:
    It is scary to see how strict they were in marking you. The worst thing is you cannot see your script and have to trust the way they have marked you. I don't think just 1 point makes you incompetent. 1.3 and 1.4 are marked by human, so there's always an element of luck. If you had the same question as me , question 1.3 was badly worded, there was no clear information
  • Tamara89
    ahh I know i am glad i had made a massive improvement its just very frustrating! I got exceeded on 1.2 the first time round and then met on the 2nd exam. I concentrated more on the spreadsheets on second attempt as I know i did terrible! I really didn't want to do it again that's why I appealed. Waste of money that was ! I cant remember what 1.3 was but majority of the exam is not worded well at all.
  • JF00025
    edited January 2018
    I was like you. Focussed mainly on spreadsheet
  • JF00025
    > @Tamara89 said:
    > Indirect tax definitely been removed. Please check the qualifications spec. There's a sample assessment there, unless you have already found it. Good luck
  • Tamara89
    Yes , finally the AAT website has been updated and only two spreadsheets :) best of luck to you too!
Privacy Policy