Tax filer classification

AndreaMc
AndreaMc Registered Posts: 21
a client of mine has a shop that she buys clothes to sell. She does not make them they are purchased as finished products. Am I right in classing these purchases in COS? our accounting software tax filer is trying to classify COS purchases as raw materials. I just want a second opinion before contacting tax filer regarding this.

Comments

• MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Hi @AndreaMc
    Is it a ltd co? When filing accounts as a micro-entity the cost of sales on the P&L is listed as "cost of raw materials and consumables" - the format of the P&L is mandatory so for reporting purposes it may not be the most suitable format.
    But I agree with you that these are cost of sales that need to be adjusted at year end for stock.
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    AndreaMc said:

a client of mine has a shop that she buys clothes to sell. She does not make them they are purchased as finished products. Am I right in classing these purchases in COS? our accounting software tax filer is trying to classify COS purchases as raw materials. I just want a second opinion before contacting tax filer regarding this.

As you have already noticed, raw materials would be more appropriate if she bought the actual fabric rather than the finished product. Purchases would be more appropriate for the cost of finished goods, and then an adjustment for closing stock held at the balance sheet date (lower of cost vs market value).
  • AndreaMc
    Hi Marie, yes it is a limited company. I am filing it as a micro entity, as this doesn't seem to be the best format, which would you recommend?
    Thank you Andrea
  • reader
    FRS102 for small entities? Rather than FRS105 for micro.
  • MarieNoelle
    reader said:

FRS102 for small entities? Rather than FRS105 for micro.

The decision ultimately lies with the client.
  • AndreaMc
    Thank you for your help greatly appreciated.
  • reader
    Client would probably prefer micro entity accounts due to limited disclosure.

@MarieNoelle

Is there any benefit for clients to chose FRS102?

Have any mortgage companies/banks/lenders that your clients work with required FRS102?
  • AndreaMc
    Hi Both, sorry I have further questions on this. Thank you both for your help.

I do agree FRS102 after your comments would be more suitable, however can we change it from micro entity FRS105 as it has previously been submitted to FRS102 without any implications?

also on the accounts cover sheet do we have to state the accounts are unaudited or can we put this in the accountants report or somewhere else instead?

Thank you really appreciate your help!!
  • MarieNoelle
    edited February 2018
    Hi @AndreaMc
    The transition from FRS105 to 102 can have some tax implications and I would refer you to articles on the subject from Steve Collins (accessible on the AAT website- CPD).

Regarding the format which accounts production software do you use?
    Edit : silly question it's in the title of the thread :p
    No experience of Taxfiler but I would expect it guides you through presentation and notes?
Privacy Policy