Disengagement Letter

Hi All,

In the dreaded situation of needing to disengage with a client. Do you use the disengagement letter in the AAT professional zone?

Just concerned as section 1 of the letter states "cease acting.....with immediate effect" but standard terms of the agreement I have in place dictate I give 21 days notice. Happy to agree with the client some work to be completed during that time but not sure how to properly put this into the template.

Any advice / alternative templates would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Comments

• reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Can you amend the "with immediate effect" part and change it to the last date that you will be acting for the client?
  • reader
    Why has the relationship come to an end?
  • Gemwor
    Gemwor Registered Posts: 21
    Thanks for the reply. I guess that would work. Just not sure if there’s a separate process for actually serving the notice/agreeing work to do before finishing and then this letter is given at the point of actual disengagement perhaps?

Reason for disengagement is just significantly increasing demands that I can’t commit to (time wise)
  • reader
    There is not really a separate process.

You and the new accountant will agree who will be doing what.

The fact that you are doing a disengagement letter already puts you ahead of 99% of the accountants out there. I have hardly ever seen this in practice.
  • reader
    I have taken a look at the disengagement letter and it is very thorough.

If you follow it you should be fine.

I think you can leave in the sentence regarding immediate effect because there is an exception based on outstanding work in the progress report in another section of the disengagement letter.
Privacy Policy