Help Looking for Work experience

Al19
Al19 Registered Posts: 3
Hi
I'm trying to write an email looking for work experience in accounting. The email is general,there is not any particular company I want to apply to. Could you please read through it and give me any advice as how I can improve it?? My english is not my first language so there may be spelling or grammar errors in it. I would be grateful if you could help. Thanks

To Whom It May Concern
I am writing to express my interest in undertaking work experience with you.
I am currently working towards the Association of Accounting Technicians(AAT) level 3 qualification at ×× College. My work experience involves mainly positions such as customer service , receptionist, cashier etc.
I am especially interested in working with accounts receivable/payable, cash book, reconcilations, VAT return etc. Nevertheless anything related to accounting or finance would be a great opportunity to put my knowledge into practice.
I believe I am a dedicated hard worker and I am certain that this organisation can help me gain valuable skills and experiences that would help me in the future.
I will be available to work for up to 5 hours every day of the week except Thursdays.
Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.
Yours faithfully

Comments

• AAT_Team
    AAT_Team Administrator Posts: 502 🤖 Admin 🤖
    Hi,

Reconciliations was missing an "i" and I've suggested a slight change to the first line.

A little tip - Grammarly is a great free website for quickly checking for any grammar or spelling errors.

To Whom It May Concern
    I am writing to express my interest in any potential opportunities to gain work experience with you.
    I am currently working towards the Association of Accounting Technicians(AAT) level 3 qualification at ×× College. My work experience involves mainly positions such as customer service, receptionist, cashier etc.
    I am especially interested in working with accounts receivable/payable, cash book, reconciliations, VAT return etc.

Nevertheless, anything related to accounting or finance would be a great opportunity to put my knowledge into practice.
    I believe I am a dedicated hard worker and I am certain that this organisation can help me gain valuable skills and experiences that would help me in the future.
    I will be available to work for up to 5 hours every day of the week except Thursdays.
    Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.
    Yours faithfully
  • Al19
    Thank you so much for your help
  • CSan89
    CSan89 Registered Posts: 207
    Al19 said:

I would take "I believe" out of this line as it does not add anything. "I am a dedicated hard worker..." sounds better.

Also I would send it in letter format with a CV, tailor it to the company/firm (generic letters/emails are most likely to be ignored) and either hand deliver it and ask to speak to the manager/accountant or post the letter with a phone call to them.

This looks so much better than a mass produced, generic email.
    AAT Level 2&3 - 2016
    AAT Level 4 - 2017
    Personal Tax, Business Tax and External Auditing

ACA/CTA -
    Certificate Level - Jan 2019
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    As @CSan89 suggested I would also avoid "to whom it may concern". Try and get the name of the practice partner/ manager and add a few lines about the company to show you have done some research.

Show in your letter how the experience you have had so far makes you a great candidate i.e. "my xxx years experience at xxx in a customer focused role have helped me develop very good communication skills..."

I would also state that you are looking for a part-time opportunity rather than say at this stage the days and hours you can/ can not do. This is something that can be explained at a further stage of the recruitment process.

I hope this helps.
  • Al19
    Thank you MarieNoelle
Privacy Policy