Attending job interviews

geek84
geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi Folks

I'm just curious to find out that if you already have a full time job but want to leave, what excuse would you give your present employer for taking time off to attend job interviews?

Would you day you have a doctors/dentist appointment, an appointment with the bank, book annual leave, or throw a sickie?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Comments

• hal978
    hal978 Registered Posts: 197 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Wouldn't that be in breach of professional ethics, i.e. lying to your employer?
  • mergen
    mergen Registered Posts: 112 New contributor 🐸
    If you want to leave and do not want to tell your current employer. Just book days holiday or half a day holiday, you do not have to give them a reason, you are entitled to your holidays, unless your contract says otherwise.
  • geek84
    geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor 🐘
    Thanks Folks

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.
  • Norvydas
    Norvydas Registered Posts: 271 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    hal978 said:

Wouldn't that be in breach of professional ethics, i.e. lying to your employer?

Yes that's correct, however some employers are not going to take this decision lightly. They will not show it to you, however as they are your employer they can make your last few weeks / months like hell, which again none of us would want that. Again it depends by your employer, if they are aware that you want to progress further than yes you can tell them as they will understand this. Also if you tell your employer that you are looking for other jobs there might be issue with you trying to get time off for interviews.

Booking half day off is best option, if asked why you need to, again you can say it is personal reason, doc appointment, dentist etc etc..
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
Privacy Policy