Starting as a freelance book keeper

Options
dlynagh1
dlynagh1 Registered Posts: 3
Hi everyone!

I recently gained my 'associated book keeping membership', and I am looking for advice on starting up as a freelance book keeper.

I've been a bookkeeper for a firm for about 5 years now, and I only work Monday - Thursday, so was thinking of starting of doing freelance work on Fridays & Saturdays.

Can anybody give me some advice on the best way to get started.

- How do you find your clients?
- Average rate you charge?
- What services should I offer, e.g. what should I say I can do for them?
- Best softwares to use?

All advice will be most appreciated :):)

Comments

• TreadStone
    TreadStone Registered Posts: 280 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    dlynagh1 said:

How do you find your clients?

Spread the word with family/friends and social media, flyers, network groups
    dlynagh1 said:

- Average rate you charge?

Will depend on your ability/experience and location. Anywhere between £15-£30hr is not unusual.
    dlynagh1 said:

- What services should I offer, e.g. what should I say I can do for them?

Only you know what you can offer. Would it just be bookkeeping or can you process payroll too, for example ?
    dlynagh1 said:

- Best softwares to use?

Each client may be different but you'll want to go with a cloud based software. No single product is best. You may want to trial Xero, Quickbooks Online, Capium, Sage Business Cloud, Freeagent, Kashflow are the most well known

Good luck.
  • dlynagh1
    dlynagh1 Registered Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks @TreadStone !

I use sage 50 accounts in the role im in now, and i also run sage 50 payroll. But not sure how expensive it would be for me to buy sage payroll for my own practice. Will have a look at a few options! :)
  • TreadStone
    TreadStone Registered Posts: 280 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Well if you're familiar with Sage 50 you may want to look at the Business Cloud (formerly Sage One) as it's the logical choice.

It also has a migration tool from Sage 50.
Privacy Policy