Advice please - AATQB Professional Status

Maria77
Maria77 Registered Posts: 2
Hello, I made a longer post today in another section, but the more I think about it the more I realise my main question/doubt with starting my AAT studies is... I would like to work as a bookkeeper in a large company, ideally in a team, for instance in a European shared services team. I do not intend becoming a self-employed bookkeeper or accountant. I have a year where I am still at home looking after my children before looking for part-time positions. I have a BBA (Hons) in Management, but it is from 20 years ago, and about 15 years work experience but not bookkeeping related.

I initially looked at the Foundation L2 + Advance L3 in Accounting, but the more I read, I realised there is a Foundation L2 + Advance L3 in Bookkeeping, and I could possibly do the latter in 1 year with Premier Training for instance and ask for AATBQ status, which I hope would help with finding the type of position I mentioned above.

My question is, is it enough from the point of view of knowledge to do L2 and L3 in Bookkeping for the AATQB and working in a purchase/sales ledger role for instance, or would I be better off doing the full L2 and L3 in Accounting (which also include the dreaded synoptic exams, which I have read people struggle with despite doing very well in the single units) which would cover more topics, but are these relevant for what I intend to do?

If I did the L2 and L3 in Bookkeping, gained AATQB status, and in the future wanted to finish the AAT qualification to achieve MAAT for instance, could I just cover the missed units of Level 2 and Level 3, and do Level 4 Professional Diploma in Accounting?

I basically feel that at the moment I would like to achieve bookkeeping knowledge and professional status within the next year, but would also like to leave doors open to continue with AAT if I wanted to in the future, without having to start again.

Many thanks!

Comments

• AAT_Team
    AAT_Team Administrator Posts: 502 🤖 Admin 🤖
    Hi @Maria77, I strongly recommend you reach out to our dedicated student advisers who will be able to help you pursue the best route to your career goal. Because you have a clear idea of where you want to be, it will make things easier. Email: join@aat.org.uk or give us a call +44 (0)20 3735 2434
Privacy Policy