VAT Error - Help Please

Options
melb2902
melb2902 Registered Posts: 38 Regular contributor ⭐
Have made a big boo boo.
So, my VAT return (that I have done for years with no hiccup) has gone wrong. :'(:'( I don't know how but I have got myself mixed up. I should have submitted 01/07/2018 to 30/09/2018 but somehow I have mixed myself up and submitted in September so haven't included Septembers VAT. Don't ask me how, I have no idea. Obviously we are still in September so trying to submit a VAT652 is difficult as it is asking for the figures for the correction. My intention was to include the figures in the January return. Can anyone help me with the form as I have never completed one before. I really don't want a penalty either - so will they take a lapse in thinking straight about it as a reason for the error - how the heck do I word that without sounding dense lol. Also, just to note, we are generally owed VAT as oppose to paying it and it is well under the £10k threshold hold. Also, where it says do you intend to include it in your VAT return - I presume it does mean the next VAT return (January) as the one submitted is wrong. Thank you in advance for any help offered <3:3

Comments

• fournaanjez
    fournaanjez Registered Posts: 32
    Options
    If it was a genuine error and it was below the £10k threshold, there's no need to fill in a VAT652 and you can just amend it in your next return.

https://www.gov.uk/vat-corrections
  • melb2902
    melb2902 Registered Posts: 38 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Well I thought this but contacted HMRC this morning to explain and was directed to the form. I questioned if I could just submit it along with the next return and he still directed me to the form. Right phew, so I can just carry on as normal but ensure the figures for September are input in the next return. Thanks for the confirmation. <3
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Options
    Also remember that penalties are calculated as a percentage of the Tax due so if you are due a refund there shouldn't be any penalty.
Privacy Policy