Parenting and studying AAT self learning

When studying for Level 2 Foundation in accounting, I had a young daughter and managed to fit in studying and being a parent in a productive manner. I am now towards the end of level 3 advanced diploma in accounting and have recently had a 2nd daughter. This has made studying alot harder and I feel it's starting to show in my assessment results.

Can anyone offer some insight into how they study, while juggling being a parent and having a full-time job.

Comments

• thelowendtheory18
    thelowendtheory18 Registered Posts: 298 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi

I'm also in a similar position as you, full time employment & have two daughters (Ages 6 & 8)

I'm waiting for my synoptic results for my Level 2 exam, If everything goes as expected i'll be starting level 3 straight beginning of December.

My normal routine is is get home from work circa 6.15pm ... spend a few hrs of time with the kids before they go to bed, have my tea & then study . i'll usually spend circa 2 hours studying roughly finishing around 9-10pm depending on what time i got the kids went to bed.

Then spend the rest of the evening chilling with the wife.

it is more of a struggle for you due to the increased difficulty of level 3... or due to your new arrival?

AAT

Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting - 30 Nov 18
    Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting - 16 Oct 19
    Level 4 Professional Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jul 21
  • DannyT90
    DannyT90 Registered Posts: 158
    I'd say both to be fair. I've done well throughout level 3 but think I needed more time revising the synoptic.

My oldest is 4 and my youngest is 6 months, so very tough finding time to revise.

Do you revise each evening or leading up to an exam?
  • thelowendtheory18
    normally 5 days a week thoughout each unit..... i always booked my exam to give myself 6 weeks from the start of the unit to exam day

Circa 2 weeks of the that would purely on exam prep mock exams etc etc.... that routine has worked really well for level 2.... and i plan to do the same for level 3, 6 weeks to complete each unit.

How long has did take to complete level 3 from start to finish???
    AAT

• DannyT90
    It's taken me a year but it can be done sooner, if you can find the time. I always planned for a year, as I don't put pressure on myself to get it done quicker. But level 4 will be different due to the exams getting harder. Time will tell!
  • thelowendtheory18
    Cool... hopefully you get that 70% or above mark for your advanced synoptic.

If you don't keep at it!
    AAT

• KatNo1
    KatNo1 Registered Posts: 3
    I became MAAT at the beginning of 2018. I did level 2 whilst at home with a 6 month old and a 2 year old. I used to do the study once they were in bed and managed to get through that level within a few months. Level 3 then took approx 12 months, mainly due to my youngest having health issues and not sleeping which was exhausting and then I had a big gap whilst setting up my business and I did level 4 once both girls were at school and I was working for myself full time. It took me far longer than it should have done really but it's so difficult when you have a young family at home! I used to do the practice exams over and over and also all the green light tests as they are a good indicator of your understanding. Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself....what you are achieving with a full time job and a young family is amazing!
  • DannyT90
    Thanks for the advice!

The Level 3 synoptic was definitely a learning curve that I need to change my ways of studying now I have 2 young children.
Privacy Policy