Looking for a job while in a job

geek84
geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi folks

I often hear employment experts say that it is always wise to keep an eye on the job market even if you are already in a job.

I can think of the following reasons for doing this:

1. To see if similar job roles pay a higher or the same salary for the same amount or less work responsibilities.
2. If there are roles available in a better location i.e. closer to home or easier location to get to.
3. If there are better job advancements in other organisations that require individuals with your, or similar, qualifications or experience.
4. More suitable working hours to fit around your other family commitments.
Are there any other reasons that you can think of for keeping an eye on the job market even if you are in a job?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Comments

• KoopaCooper
    KoopaCooper Registered Posts: 224
    Sometimes, it can even be a matter of personal happiness - you may just not be happy where you currently are for any reason. Perhaps you don't get on with your boss, or your colleagues, or there's just loads of politics going on in a small office and you want to get away from the toxic atmosphere.

I speak somewhat from experience sadly - my first job after university was working in a betting shop; the work was okay, the customers were okay (mostly, naturally a few troublemakers), but the toxic work environment created by our district manager caused me to suffer fairly severe and prolonged depression and weight gain, plus other associated health problems.
    Accounts Executive, ғɪᴀʙ ᴍᴀᴀᴛ
    QBO & Xero certified advisor

AAT
    Level 2 Certificate in Accounting - 17 Jun 2015
    Level 3 Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jan 2016
    Level 4 Diploma in Accounting - 19 Dec 2017
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
    Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business...
    F4 Corporate and Business Law - 4 Jun 2019
    F5 Performance Management - 15 July 2019
    F6 Taxation (United Kingdom) - 3 Dec 2019
    F8 Audit and Assurance - 2 Mar 2020
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    As @KoopaCooper says, if you're happy in your job there would be no reason for you to look elsewhere, but it's also healthy to keep an eye on the job market. A year ago I was fairly happy with my own business until I saw an advert for a local practice. Really happy I went for it now!
  • geek84
    Thanks folks
  • dumutroba
    dumutroba Registered Posts: 262
    edited December 2018
    @MarieNoelle
    I recently went on a interview for a trainee job in a local practice and been asked what salary I would expect. Working in practice yourself what will be your suggestion for Trainee with no experience AAT 3/part AAT 4?

Thanks in advance to everyone for their input
    AAT Level 2. 2018 Distinction
    AAT Level 3. 2018 Distinction
    AAT Level 4. 2019 FSLC 100% MABU 93% MADC 82% PDSY 80%
    Xero Certified Advisor
  • SimplyLearnFinance
    SimplyLearnFinance Registered Posts: 17
    As @KoopaCooper said, sometimes it's not the work but the other contributing factors of office life or the working environment that can move you into making a change. A first hand experience of this is the role changing. I had a role that slowly diverted away from finance and became more of a data analyst role. Luckily I had kept up to speed with what was out there so I didn't feel trapped as I knew there were other opportunities to apply for to get me back on track. It's always good to keep in touch with the job market too in order to see what skills are being sought so that you can keep fresh and up to date.
    Personalised Lessons from the Comfort of Your Home

hello@simplylearnfinance.co.uk
    www.simplylearnfinance.co.uk
  • crispy
    crispy Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi All,

As above, I am considering my options for the new year. Despite having a steady income and no apparent threat to my position I am not really very happy either with the environment or some of the people. I suffer from anxiety disorder symptoms (maybe as a result from the workplace ?) which can make it very tiring and difficult just to complete a working day - I am concerned that simply by moving job I will still have the same problem. I have completed a number of qualifications and courses however there does not appear to be much 'interest' in me or my progession from management which I find de-motivating (I think I am now over qualified which may put off potential employers).

Any feedback would be appreciated, do I register with an agency or apply solo ? I wouldn't want to be pestered or pressurised (due to anxiety I can be vunerable to agreeing to something that really isn't in my best interests) I do not feel as am really getting anywhere am generally unhappy and losing self confdence.

• geek84
    Hi Folks

Many thanks for your replies.

As some of you have suggested, it is worthwhile keeping an eye on the job market. In this case, would you just look at websites which have vacancies for accountancy based roles or would you use other methods?

Thanks
  • KoopaCooper
    dumutroba said:

@MarieNoelle

I recently went on a interview for a trainee job in a local practice and been asked what salary I would expect. Working in practice yourself what will be your suggestion for Trainee with no experience AAT 3/part AAT 4?

Thanks in advance to everyone for their input

Well I started off in my position (in a practice) having just completed my AAT level 3 and with no practical experience, and my pay was £14,040pa, or £7.20ph (i.e. minimum wage).

I now have 2 years of experience, as well as my MAAT, and it's increased to £19k.

Also, just for the sake of full disclosure, I started work here at the age of 33, after 8 solid years of unemployment, which could have some bearing on how much I was thought to be worth...

AAT
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
  • dumutroba
    @KoopaCooper
    Thank you very much for your replay
    Would you mind telling me which part of UK are you. I am from West Midlands, Hereford and the interviewer actually disclosed that they struggle to find suitable candidates, because the area is rural.
    Doesn't that command higher salary demand?
    Xero Certified Advisor
  • KoopaCooper
    @dumutroba

Not at all, I am in south London. :) There's no shortage of candidates for vacancies, but the quality is still rather variable. I know when we were trying to hire apprentices recently, it was understandable they had little/no experience, but one was so woefully underskilled he was let go after a few weeks. Basic things, like how to write a letter, address an envelope, answer a phone, etc, he had no idea. (Didn't even know what a postage stamp was)

A lot of the problem seems to be schoolkids don't actually get taught basic stuff like that which would come in use in the workplace...

Yes, if there's fewer suitable candidates you may be able to ask for a higher salary. Be careful how much higher though.

AAT
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
  • dumutroba
    @KoopaCooper
    Thank you for your answer
    That is probably what they meant when they say they struggle to find suitable candidates. The thing is I am unable to go on lower salary at the moment, but they did say to get in contact if situation changes. So very positive experience after all
    Xero Certified Advisor
  • SimplyLearnFinance
    SimplyLearnFinance Registered Posts: 17
    > @crispy said:
    > Hi All,
    >
    ... do I register with an agency or apply solo ? I wouldn't want to be pestered or pressurised (due to anxiety I can be vunerable to agreeing to something that really isn't in my best interests) I do not feel as am really getting anywhere am generally unhappy and losing self confdence.

Have you signed up to alerts on indeed.co.uk ? I find that this is a good way to encompass most of the jobs that become available based on your search criteria.
    Personalised Lessons from the Comfort of Your Home

hello@simplylearnfinance.co.uk
    www.simplylearnfinance.co.uk
Privacy Policy