If im a AAT student member, can I sit an exam without a training provider?

Options
CJT
CJT Registered Posts: 4
I am currently coming to end of my Level 3 AAT and looking into my options for Level 4.
Having done both level 2 and 3 distance learning with a training provider, Ive come to the conclusion that all I need is learning materials which I can easily source elsewhere for a fraction of the cost that my training provider charges.
Can I purchase the books second hand, pay for the exams and sit them without a training provider?

Comments

• Norvydas
    Norvydas Registered Posts: 271 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Dear CJT,

Yes, as far as you are registered with AAT (Have valid student membership) then you can sit exams.
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • CJT
    CJT Registered Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi Norvydas,

Even if these are Level 4 exams?
    I have read that if they are not computer marked then you need a Training provider to mark the exams?
  • Norvydas
    Norvydas Registered Posts: 271 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi CJT,

Exams are marked by AAT not by your training provider. That's why it takes 6 weeks to mark them.
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • Elasozorus19_tiKoyn
    Elasozorus19_tiKoyn Registered Posts: 13
    Options
    I am only just learning my way around AAT, having been mainly an Open University student before where everything is included. I also became qualified with IAB a number of years ago but still have extremely little or no practical experience, as none of my jobs have been particularly relevant. It looks to me as though you do need a training provider to take AAT exams because you have to get one to register with AAT and have one showing in your MyAAT account. If your training provider were only that, and not an assessment centre as well, then you would have to find an external assessment centre (that is one which takes external candidates - i.e. students who are not their own students, but external to their organization). What I was confused about is whether you can have different providers for different levels in the 2016 Accounting Qualification (Levels 2, 3 an 4) and, from what I have just been told, you can't, as all three levels are treated as 'one qualification'. I have phoned AAT up to change my training provider, as my local college have just withdrawn me from their course, but MyAAT is still showing the old training provider. Does anyone know how long it should take to update? I have had emails from AAT saying that it will take up to 5 days to answer my query. Has anyone had a similar experience?
  • AAT_Team
    AAT_Team Administrator Posts: 502 🤖 Admin 🤖
    Options
    You don't need a training provider to sit assessments. To register you can give us a call.
  • mart134
    mart134 Registered Posts: 1
    Options
    I've done level 2 and level 3 self study in 14 months and it's good as long as you are motivated. very affordable. I got my level 3 books off eBay in very good condition for £70 and pay £58 per assessment with premier training.
Privacy Policy