Apprenticeship Help

Hello,

I have Level 2 AAT and Two A-Levels, my local college does Level 3 in one year. I've recently started working at company as an apprentice. I was under the impression I would be starting Level 3 at the end of the month, completing it in 1 year then moving onto Level 4. This is not the case and I wont be starting until March, I will be doing Level 2 Bookkeeping until September, then ill be starting Level 3 which is 2 years.

When i asked why is it 2 years compared to my local college which was 1, they told me that's the old standard, the new standard is a lot longer and "No college or learning provider will deliver it in 9-12 months". I have a lot of questions because what i've been told is different then the real thing. I might add when I asked this question my boss didn't like it, saying 'MGhetto is just trying to pass exams rather than be an accountant'. He also said maybe we might have to look for another apprentice forgetting I was tagged to the email.

Is it really that bad that I want to complete Level 3 in 1 year compared to 2? The college is a far distance and 1 year might not seem a lot but when i see people online saying they have completed it in 9-12 months, I ask myself, why cant i do that?

I also have a lot of other questions like, why am i starting level 3 in September but asking them would cause more harm then good.

Side note- I haven't yet enrolled to the college, I have to travel a fair distance which is fine because there is a small amount of apprenticeships available at the moment. The office i work in is great its just this little problem.

Is this normal and any information is appreciated?

Comments

• dumutroba
    dumutroba Registered Posts: 262
    > @Mghetto said:
    > 'MGhetto is just trying to pass exams rather than be an accountant'. He also said maybe we might have to look for another apprentice forgetting I was tagged to the email.
    >

I don't know if they need to look for new apprentice, but you will definitely have to look for new employer. After all aprentiship is paid the same everywhere
    AAT Level 2. 2018 Distinction
    AAT Level 3. 2018 Distinction
    AAT Level 4. 2019 FSLC 100% MABU 93% MADC 82% PDSY 80%
    Xero Certified Advisor
  • caitlinminshall
    caitlinminshall Registered Posts: 3
    Hi, not sure if this will help but they changed the apprenticeship standards last year (I think) and bought in the End Point Assessment (portfolio and professional discussion with AAT). They changed it so that you can't sit the Synoptic exam until at least a year and a day after your registration date of that level and then you have to submit your portfolio and arrange the discussion with AAT. I completed my level 2 on an apprenticeship before it changed and it took me just over 9 months to complete. I then start Level 3 in Sept 17 and I still haven't completed it because I had to wait until Sept 18 to sit the synoptic and then I am still waiting for my training provider to approve my synoptic and book my professional discussion. As far as I am aware this is the standard for all AAT apprenticeships now but two years does seem too long but it could be due to the extra things you have to do for the apprenticeship. However, if you aren't an apprentice as far as I am aware you can sit the exams as and when you like. Hope this helps a bit!
  • Norvydas
    Norvydas Registered Posts: 271 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    edited January 2019
    Mghetto said:

Hello,

I have Level 2 AAT and Two A-Levels, my local college does Level 3 in one year. I've recently started working at company as an apprentice. I was under the impression I would be starting Level 3 at the end of the month, completing it in 1 year then moving onto Level 4. This is not the case and I wont be starting until March, I will be doing Level 2 Bookkeeping until September, then ill be starting Level 3 which is 2 years.

When i asked why is it 2 years compared to my local college which was 1, they told me that's the old standard, the new standard is a lot longer and "No college or learning provider will deliver it in 9-12 months". I have a lot of questions because what i've been told is different then the real thing. I might add when I asked this question my boss didn't like it, saying 'MGhetto is just trying to pass exams rather than be an accountant'. He also said maybe we might have to look for another apprentice forgetting I was tagged to the email.

Is it really that bad that I want to complete Level 3 in 1 year compared to 2? The college is a far distance and 1 year might not seem a lot but when i see people online saying they have completed it in 9-12 months, I ask myself, why cant i do that?

I also have a lot of other questions like, why am i starting level 3 in September but asking them would cause more harm then good.

Side note- I haven't yet enrolled to the college, I have to travel a fair distance which is fine because there is a small amount of apprenticeships available at the moment. The office i work in is great its just this little problem.

Is this normal and any information is appreciated?

RUN FROM THAT PLACE!!!

This bit got me well mad; "MGhetto is just trying to pass exams rather than be an accountant'. He also said maybe we might have to look for another apprentice forgetting I was tagged to the email."

I wouldn't personally want to work with someone who behaves like that, no matter weather they didn't intend to CC you in the e-mail.

Sorry for my poor language but apprenticeship is sh**.. £3.85 p/h and you going to be used, you will be working for 2 people but getting paid 4 times less... how do I know? My partner was in the same situation. Study Level 3 for 2 years?? Studying exactly what for 2 years? Is 1 unit going to take 3 months to complete? I can't believe what I am reading here.. I've studied Level 2 via college & did Level 3 & 4 online. Level 2 via college took me longer to complete than Level 4 online.. Got my first job in finance studying Level 2 (after 3 months of studies I got offered a position), now nearly 2 years later I am working in practice in Accountancy position (not trainee or apprenticeship).

Find any job, even if it's in the shop, start studying AAT Level 3, then start applying for Finance / Accounts Assistant jobs, this way you will have decent income, and will be able to search for a job flexibly.

P.S. I was working as Personal Trainer when started my Level 2.
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
Privacy Policy