Is Facebook necessary for a new business?

DannyT90
DannyT90 Registered Posts: 158
I'm in the process of starting a bookkeeping business on the side of my full time job. I've order business cards and intend to hand this out straight away.

I noticed a lot of people recommend setting up a Facebook page. I really don't like Facebook and would prefer to market my business in other ways.

Is Facebook something that everyone should have to promote their business or can you be successful at the beginning without it?

Comments

• MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Like all social media, it can work if you share updates and news on a regular basis. If you don't like Facebook in the first place how likely are you to use it efficiently?

I tend to keep Facebook for friends and family. For work I use LinkedIn, but not as an advertising platform, more as a networking opportunity.
    I have had a few recommendations from "Nextdoor" and local Facebook groups but they are endorsements from existing clients rather than me actively advertising.
  • DannyT90
    Well I know people use it as it is a good marketing scheme for free but I've never liked using Facebook for various reasons.

As I'm working full time already and wanting to do bookkeeping on the side, are business cards and just putting the 'word' around to friends and family a good way to start?
  • MarieNoelle
    Yes, it's a good way to start, also I would encourage you to go to Branch events as they are a good networking place; a few established accountants may want to use your bookkeeping services.
  • DannyT90
    Thanks for your advice
  • AAT_Team
    AAT_Team Administrator Posts: 502 🤖 Admin 🤖
    Upcoming AAT Branch events in Surrey for you here :)
  • MarieNoelle
    I might see you there @DannyT90 :)
Privacy Policy