Level 4 - Distance Learning Timescale

Hi!

I am looking to start my Level 4 via distance learning in October and just looking for a bit of advice from people who have also studied it this way - how long has it taken you to complete? Is one year to complete a realistic timetable?

Thanks!

Comments

• Dini
    Dini Registered Posts: 16
    Hi

I've just started Level 4 via distance learning. I did my own timetable and I think one year should be ok to finish it. Depends on how much time you are planning to spend on studying :)
  • Pian32
    Pian32 Registered Posts: 474 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi
    I started Level 4 at the end of February. I just sat my last exam (assuming at least a pass) so it's taken about 6-7 months.

For study amount I had a dedicated day (7 hours) a week which was for studying only, and took a week in August to prepare for the synoptic. I probably wouldn't have needed the week if I hadn't used a Monday as the bank holidays set me back a bit

Hope that helps
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • MCB1986
    MCB1986 Registered Posts: 5
    Hi

I started the level 4 last September. I only get 5 hours a week to myself to study but try to fit a few more hours in on evenings. I have two children so time is very limited. I also can only study in term time so works out to 39 days a year.
    I have just sat my synoptic, hopefully passed, then I will be sitting my two optional units hopefully in Nov and Feb/Mar.

It just depends on your circumstances and how much time you can out in. As you can see from above a yer or less is very achievable.

There is a section on the AAT website that gives a guided learning hours (GLH) for each unit. This may help you plan your time? I have attached a copy that my learning provider sent to me.

• MCB1986
    MCB1986 Registered Posts: 5
    Hi

I started the level 4 last September. I only get 5 hours a week to myself to study but try to fit a few more hours in on evenings. I have two children so time is very limited. I also can only study in term time so works out to 39 days a year.
    I have just sat my synoptic, hopefully passed, then I will be sitting my two optional units hopefully in Nov and Feb/Mar.

It just depends on your circumstances and how much time you can out in. As you can see from above a yer or less is very achievable.

There is a section on the AAT website that gives a guided learning hours (GLH) for each unit:

Budgeting = 60 hours
    Decision and Control = 90 hours
    Financial Statements = 90 hours
    Accounting Systems and Controls = 60 hours
    Optional Units = 60 hours each

You will have to factor in revision time, mocks and extra time for those parts that just dont click first time!

Good Luck
  • KerryJane
    KerryJane Registered Posts: 10
    Hi everyone,

That's great, thank you all for your help!

Hopefully if I start studying in November I will complete the level before Christmas 2020 the onto CIMA!

Thanks,
  • amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    edited September 2019
    KerryJane said:

Hi!

I am looking to start my Level 4 via distance learning in October and just looking for a bit of advice from people who have also studied it this way - how long has it taken you to complete? Is one year to complete a realistic timetable?

Thanks!

Hi KerryJane.

I have studied with First Intuition Distance Learning for a couple of years now, 3 years infact. I have been studying Level 4 with them and took 1 year out from my studies. I would say to allow 18 months to 2 years for the complete level 4 syllabus. However this really does depend on your learning style and ofcourse how much time you have free to dedicate towards your studies.

Good luck for your further studies commencing in October! :), there is some really great help and support on these forums.
    MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
  • chloewain_
    chloewain_ Registered Posts: 42
    @KerryJane It depends on how full-on you study. So I have been studying for over a year now (I was hoping it would only take me a year!) but I keep having months out. And when I actually work out how many hours I put in to self teach (my training provider was rubbish, so it was more teaching myself than being taught), I'd vaguely go over stuff and watch some good youtube videos to get an idea of the basics, and then book a full week off work and study for that whole week and sit my exam the week after. So it took me just over 7 solid days per exam (which is pretty in line with the 60-90 hours per exam to study)

However, you can only take the synoptic exam at certain times of the year, so if you fail, you find out your results about a week or so before the retake, so probably wouldn't be prepared for the retake. This means you would have to book your synoptic 7 or so weeks after you got your results or 14 weeks after you took the original exam. This would add an extra 3 months onto your studies

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll smash it!
Privacy Policy