Help with Ruby Dale Ltd - exam next week

chloewain_chloewain_ Registered, AAT Student Posts: 37
So I know that task 3 is all about SWOT. Identifying weaknesses etc. However, the pre-release material already has a SWOT in it, I havent come across any practice exams that had this. Do this mean that on question 3, we defo won't have a SWOT and if so, what will the question be on?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• ReeceDayReeceDay Registered Posts: 4
    Hey,

No there is still a very good chance that there will be a SWOT analysis. The previous pre -release had a SWOT analysis included but was still tested in the exams.
    The SWOT analysis that AAT provide on the company is a basic one, you should try and do further analysis on this before the exam. I have one I can send you over if you like? It is quite detailed

chloewain_nunu_dann
  • chloewain_chloewain_ Registered, AAT Student Posts: 37
    @ReeceDay Thank you very much for letting me know, that would be brilliant if you could send it over, thank you so so much for your help, I really appreciate it :)
  • ChrisReeveChrisReeve Registered Posts: 2
    This is interesting because my 1st attempt at this I had a SWOT question and I literally had a moment and had no idea what one was which likely cost me the pass.The pre-release this time effectively gives you the answer to the question I had previously so I imagine it will be something else.
    chloewain_
  • ReeceDayReeceDay Registered Posts: 4
    @ChrisReeve Ah yeah definitely worth revising the cost benefit analysis in depth.. I find that it is hard to find decent revision material and practice questions on the CBA though
    chloewain_
  • Pian32Pian32 Registered Posts: 33
    A point to remember is that Task 3 is not a SWOT. It is, from what I've seen, always a find 5 weaknesses and explain them. You can get a SWOT in Task 6 however.
    @Pian32 Yes sorry, I got the question number mixed up. Number 6 is either swot analysis or cba, which I have now realised.

Thank you for your help guys @reeceaustin123 @ChrisReeve
    @chloewain_ That's fine just thought I'd be better to be sure.
    Another type of question I've see a lot of in Task 6 is the find 2 weaknesses and analyse them through different parts of the question. e.g what problems, how to solve etc.

Task 6 is definetly the hardest to pin down in what could come up.
    Interesting, @Pian32 thank you for the heads up! I am trying to do a cost-benefit analysis, do you have any tips. I have read on one of the forums that it is more about sunk costs, and what kind of costs to include and what to leave out, but there isnt really anything on youtube for it. Do you have any tips please?
  • Robdavid85Robdavid85 Registered Posts: 2
    Hi Chloe. Interesting. I’m sitting Level 4 PDSY next week. This AAT journey has not been smooth, first re-sitting MDCL after AAT changed the exam in 2018 and now signing up to sit PDSY (in one of the only available weeks) and shock horror, they change the Pre-Release Material. So my first thoughts were, why are they giving us a SWOT analysis… But there is hope!

They have only changed the pre-release material but not the Learning outcomes of each task!

According to AAT Professional Diploma in Accounting Qualification specification V5 2019 (found on MyAAT study resource PDSY) Task 3. tests Accounting Systems and Controls; LO2 Evaluate internal control systems and LO3 Evaluate an organisation’s accounting system and underpinning procedures.

In English this means apply your knowledge based on the scenario given and highlight strengths and weaknesses.

Question everything!

This could be a Payroll process, Purchasing process, Sales Order process. I wouldn’t be surprised if AAT took away the familiar Task 3 table (Weakness – Recommendation) we have seen in the practice papers CBT 1 and CBT 2. There could be a drop down multiple choice question, extended writing box that looks different etc.

But I believe the table will still be there – Task 3 is still examining the same outcomes, so don’t get put off if the question looks/feels different.

Task 6 tests everything!!! Accounting Systems and Controls LO1, LO2, LO3 and LO4. Financial Statements of Limited Companies LO1. Management Accounting: Budgeting LO3. Management Accounting: Decision and Control LO4 and LO5.

We are familiar with SWOT appearing in Task 6. And the random Cost Benefit Analysis that Learning Providers have little or no study material on nor practice questions. It begs the question whether AAT fully informed Learning Providers that this would be tested on...

Study everything so you have an awareness of each topic and how you would apply it to the scenario given – it appears that we are not tested on every detail of every accounting tool and need to remember every detail of that tool but more so on what tool to use, apply and why.

I’m expecting Cost Benefit Analysis, Net Present Value, SWOT Analysis, Ethical and Sustainability issues in Task 6. Even another grid/box we see in Task 3…

Good luck!

*I have not sat any live PDSY exam so I am clearly not discussing any live content. Thank you.
    chloewain_
  • Robdavid85Robdavid85 Registered Posts: 2
    to help, i have attached some of the recommended attachments that students have recommended on these chats :)
    chloewain_
    @chloewain_ My impression with CBA is that when looking at a cost you need to decide does it have to be paid or what is 'lost'.

If the question talked about the rent for a room that you have even without the change then it's irrelevant but if it was a new rent just for a server then it would be a cost for the CBA.

The 'lost' part would relate to training as during training the work that could have been done in that time won't be so the workers wages (and any NI) would be lost.

This is an area I'm reading up on for the exam next week but that's what I've gathered about it.
    chloewain_
  • Dorota_1680Dorota_1680 Registered Posts: 47
    @ReeceDay Could you please send me further SWOT analyse on pre-release material as I believe you mentioned you have one. Thanks.
  • KamityKamity Registered Posts: 1
    @ReeceDay could you please send me the SWOT analyses. I have my exam tomorrow and I am freaked out :(
    Many thanks
  • Reedy45Reedy45 Registered Posts: 2
    ReeceDay said:

Hey,

No there is still a very good chance that there will be a SWOT analysis. The previous pre -release had a SWOT analysis included but was still tested in the exams.
    The SWOT analysis that AAT provide on the company is a basic one, you should try and do further analysis on this before the exam. I have one I can send you over if you like? It is quite detailed

Please could you send me this too? thanks